Can't seem to use wildcard to play a sound

Ninjadoodle

Hi Guys

I've been testing my game across different browsers and noticed that it doesn't load in Firefox. The reason being that Firefox doesn't load M4A sounds.

I'm a little lost as what sound format(s) I should be using for cross compatibility across browsers/devices.

Also, do I have to load all the different formats in my assets.js?

How do I play a sound inside a game so it chooses the right format for the device/browser?

Is the some sort of wildcard setting, so you can for example say -> play jump.* vs play jump.m4a

Thank you heaps for any help :)

I'm a little lost as what sound format(s) I should be using for cross compatibility across browsers/devices.

For my games I have all my sounds in two formats - .ogg as the preferred type and .m4a as the fallback for when .ogg is not supported.

In my experience this has been the combination that gives best coverage of browsers & devices.

Thank you heaps for the help guys!

I saved all my files as ogg and m4a, the tried using -> game.audio.playMusic('audio/themeMusic.*', false);

... but I can't get it working :(

Every time I try using the wildcard, I get this error ...

TypeError: undefined is not an object (evaluating 'this.sources[name].audio')

Any idea what the problem could be?

Thank you again!

Hi guys

I managed to get this working by using this approach:

In my assets.js file, I load the sounds (m4a & ogg) and give them both the same 'tag' ...

game.addAudio('audio/theme.m4a', 'theme');

game.addAudio('audio/theme.ogg', 'theme');

then in the game I use the sounds 'tag' to play it ...

game.audio.playMusic('theme');

This works well, so I guess I don't need to use the .* wildcard. I would still be interested to know how it's used and what the correct syntax is.

Thank you!

This code fragment (from panda fiddler) does the job:

game.module(    'game.main').require(    'engine.core').body(function(){        game.addAudio('sound/clear.*', 'clear');    //In the media folder there are two versions of the sound file:    //clear.m4a (web/iOS)    //clear.ogg (android devices)    //Panda chooses the right soundfile automatically as a result of the asterix        game.createScene('Main', {        backgroundColor: "#ffffff",        init: function() {            //add text            var text = new game.Text("Click canvas to play a sound", { font: '30px wallfont' });            this.stage.addChild(text);          },                  click: function(e) {             game.audio.playSound("clear", false);         }    });});