Booty5 Free Game Maker

drmop

Hi, 

I've recently got into HTML5 and so far liking it very much compared to native development. However, these days I just cannot seem to do anything without having some kind of editor to work with, I have a strong disliking towards typing lots and drawing things out on paper!. Anyway,  I've released my new personal project which is an HTML5 game maker that is available (Windows only at the moment) for free to anyone that is interested in HTML5 game development. It comes complete with a built in easy to use, fast, compact (around 70k) open source game engine that's packed with features.

The editor has some nice useful features such as TexturePacker and SVG import, built in code editing, alignment and snapping tools, hierarchical game object arrangement, scenes, brushes, physics, tile maps etc..

The editor exports JSON so you can load and utilise the data from any game engine so you are no locked to a single engine.

You can find out more and grab a free copy of Booty5 from http://booty5.com

There are a bunch of simple demos / tutorials and a game that I am in the process of porting from native to HTML5 at http://booty5.com/html5-game-editor/booty5-html5-game-editor-tutorials/

The e-book based manual is available from http://booty5.com/booty5-free-html-game-maker-e-book-manual/.

Mat

Hi, 

I've recently got into HTML5 and so far liking it very much compared to native development. However, these days I just cannot seem to do anything without having some kind of editor to work with, I have a strong disliking towards typing lots and drawing things out on paper!. Anyway,  I've released my new personal project which is an HTML5 game maker that is available (Windows only at the moment) for free to anyone that is interested in HTML5 game development. It comes complete with a built in easy to use, fast, compact (around 70k) open source game engine that's packed with features.

The editor has some nice useful features such as TexturePacker and SVG import, built in code editing, alignment and snapping tools, hierarchical game object arrangement, scenes, brushes, physics etc..

The editor exports JSON so you can load and utilise the data from any game engine so you are no locked to a single engine.

You can find out more and grab a free copy of Booty5 from http://booty5.com

There are a bunch of simple demos / tutorials and a game that I am in the process of porting from native to HTML5 at http://booty5.com/html5-game-editor/booty5-html5-game-editor-tutorials/

Mat

Can we extend or create plugins for Booty5 ? Examples if I want to integrate with other sponsors or publisher API ?

• 3 weeks later...

Just released a new update to the Booty5 HTML5 game maker (v1.8.2b), changes include:

• Added brush background preview to Actor properties panel
  • Added ability to select shapes, actors, images and brushes across all property panels
  • Added shape editor
  • Added shape bitmap tracer and polygon shape mesh optimiser
  • Concave fixtures are now exported as multiple convex fixtures
  • Fixed crash that occurs after dragging an image into scene, deleting it then clicking on its generated brush
  • Fixed issue when saving a project for the first time using the Save button
  • Fixed issue where changing actors geometry was not being updated properly
The most notable change for this release is the addition of a shape editor which enables you to create / edit shapes that can be used for clipping, actor visual representation and physics fixtures.

The shape editor also supports auto tracing of bitmaps to generate optimised meshes, which are exported as sets of convex fixtures for physics. Here are a couple of screenies:

booty5_editor1.jpg

booty5_code_editor1.jpg

booty5_shape_editor.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Been very busy since the last update extending the features of Booty5 to bring more HTML5 specific features into the editor. The editor changes for this release include:

• Added mouse wheel joint type to list of joint types
  • Added new property called ExportName to Scene, this changes the name of the scene, but not its exported file name
  • Added support for corner radius to rects enabling rounded rects
  • Added support for none filled polygons, arcs, rects and labels
  • Added support for stroke colour and thickness
  • Layers are now exported and used by engine
  • Added support for shadows to all actor types
  • Added support for composite operations
  • Added support for Scene OnKeyPress, OnKeyDown and OnKeyUp events
  • Added new gradient brush type and gradient editor
  • Actors can now render gradient brushes at any angle

Engine changes:

• Added support for wheel joint
  • Added panning property to Scene to determine when the scene is being touch panned
  • Box2D begin and end contact callbacks now call both objects that were affected
  • Added corner_radius property to rectActor to render rounded rects
  • Added support for stroke colour and thickness to rect, arc, polygon and label actors
  • Added support for scene and actor layer ordering. Set layer via _layer property and not layer variable to ensure that re-sorting takes place
  • Added new shadow properties all actor types (shadow, shadow_x, shadow_y, shadow_colour, shadow_blur)
  • Added support for composite operations to actors
  • Added support for Scene onKeyPress, onKeyDown and onKeyUp events
  • Added new Gradient class that handles gradient brushes
  • Rect, Arc and Polygon actors can now render gradient brushes at any angle, angle is specified by new grad_rotation property
  • Added new demos keys, mouse joint, bitmap animation, shapes and gradients

• 4 weeks later...

Booty5 game maker v1.8.5b is now out

Booty5 game engine changes:

• Added new Actor setPositionPhysics() and setRotationPhysics() to set associated physics body position and rotation directly
  • Added new utils class that contains utility functions
  • Fixed actor and scene sorting using new sorting method in Utils called sortLayers()
  • Added new property to TheApp called use_marm which should be set to true if deploying to mobile using the Marmalade SDK
  • Added new property to Sound constructor called reuse which can be used to force the sound effect to be reused (only useful for short sound effects at may not play if one is already playing)
  • Added new stop / pause methods to Sound class, only usable with reusable sounds
  • Sound class will now use the powerful Marmalade audio system instead of standard, if its available
  • Added new method TheApp.parseAndSetFocus(scene_name) which parses xoml JSON and sets the named scene as the current scene
  • TimelineManager.add() now returns the timeline that was added
  • Scene.addActor() now returns the added actor
  • Actor.addActor() now returns the added actor
  • TheApp.addScene() now returns the added scene
  • ParticleActor.addParticle() now returns the added particle
  • Main loop timer replaced with requestAnimationFrame for smoother rendering
  • TheApp now measures average frame rate via avg_fps property
  • TheApp has new property called adaptive_physics which will run physics update multiple times within a single frame if frame rate falls considerably outside target frame rate
  • Actors can now all be cached by setting cache property to true. When cached the actor will be rendered only once to an off screen canvas, subsequent rendering will be of the cached version. note that the Size of the actor as specified by its properties will determine the size of the cached canvas area. In the case of unfilled actors, the allocated size will be slightly larger to allow for stroke thickness. Note that shadows and composite operations are not cached

Booty5 game editor changes:

• ExportName Scene property is now saved and restored correctly
  • Load scene property now cloned correctly
  • Target frame rate now exported
  • Fixed main.js for Marmalade SDK export, also now copy wb.js over from SDK into build folder
  • Marmalade native audio will be used in place of standard audio if available
  • Added new property to Sound resource called reuse
  • Added new project property called Adaptive Physics which can be used to run physics multiple times per game update
  • Unfilled rounded rects with corner radius now render properly
  • Actors can now be marked as cached which causes them to be rendered once to an off screen canvas
  • Added new measure button next to size property in properties panel, this will set the actors size to the extents of any attached geometry
  • Exported main.js will now wait until resources are loaded before starting TheApp

• 2 weeks later...

Booty5 game maker v1.8.6b is now out

Engine Changes:

• Added new property to Actor called merge_cache which when set to true will attempt to merge the actors rendering into a suitable parents cache. Note that once an actor has been merged into its parent its visual properties cannot be modified
  • Add new property to TheApp called focus_scene2 which sets a 2nd scene as focus, this scene will be used for touch events if the first main focus scene does not respond to them
  • Added support for fallback sound to Sound class via location2
  • Added new min_panning property to Scene. This will prevent panning being marked as true if the movement distance squared is below this value
  • Sound now supports looping via Sound.loop
  • All Xoml parse functions now return the created object
  • New Xoml.findResource() added which searched a Xoml resource collection for the named resource
  • Fixed issue where Actor.current_frame was going out of bounds
  • Fixed polygonActor gradient fill
  • Examples updated
  • New “Create Objects from Template” and “List Menu” demos added

Editor Changes:

• Added new property to Icon / Label called merge_cache which when set to true will attempt to merge the actors rendering into the a suitable parents cache
  • Scene Current property has been renamed to the more appropriate “Has Focus”
  • Scene has new property called Secondary Focus which sets a 2nd scene as focus, this scene will be used for touch events if the first main focus scene does not respond to them
  • Added new “clone to all scenes” menu action which will clone an Icon / Label to all scenes
  • Added new “delete from all scenes” menu action which will remove all Icons / Labels from all scenes that share the same name as the selected item
  • Added new “copy to scene” menu action which will create a copy of the selected actor and copy it to the selected scene
  • Added new “bring to front” and “send to back” commands to resources tree view
  • Added new resource view text size change buttons which can be used to increase / decrease font size
  • Added new Disable Shadows property to project properties. Setting to true will disable export of all shadows for all actors
  • Added fall back audio file to sound properties, this file will be loaded if original one fails to load
  • Added new loop property to sound which enables audio to be looped
  • CocoonJS added to list of additional API’s (see project properties)
  • Fix: Stopped menu appearing when pressing right mouse button on canvas
  • Fixed bug that generated invalid JSON when exporting label children

• 3 weeks later...

It’s been a busy few weeks, but finally after much determination the Booty5 game maker now supports a full on Flash style animation editor that enables you to animate not only game objects but also scenes and custom properties. Lets take a quick look at how the new editor layout looks, its had a few changes:

booty5_editor_screenshot2-1024x615.jpg

You can see that the old output window has been split into a tabbed window that contains the output window and the animation window. To animate objects or scenes simply click the record button then select the object that you wish to animate, create an animation, add properties that you want to change and / or simply change the properties of the objects on the canvas or in the objects properties window. Finally, hit play to preview the animation(s)

The animation timeline supports a whole bunch of extra features such as selection of easing formulas per key frame, per key frame hit event handlers, per timeline OnEnd / OnRepeat event handlers, time scaling, timeline repeats, start delay etc..

You can see a demo of a quick animation that I created using the editor here.

The entire list of changes for the 1.8.7b update includes:

• Added timeline animation editor that allows the creation of complex animations
  • Added orphan property to actors, when an actor is marked as an orphan ignore its parents transforms
  • Added image based brush selector
  • You can now add a loading.png to the global resources and it will be displayed as a background whilst loading
  • Added new project property "Wait for Resources" which will delay the launch of the game until all preload resources are loaded as well as display a loading screen
  • Project properties section has new properties that allow you to define the loading screen visuals
  • Added new property to actors called Start Frame, this is the frame of animation that the actor will initially display
  • Added new property to scene that allows initial camera position to be set
  • Fix: Objects on canvas are now selected when mouse button is let go instead of as soon as it is pressed
  • Fix: Directional cloning fixed for scaled objects
  • Fix: All vector values and angle values now obey export precision in properties panel

There's also a couple of other nice features been added such as selecting brush by image instead of by name and the ability to set up a loading screen / loading bar that is displayed whilst resource are being loaded.

The Booty 5 game engine 1.4.2 has also had a number of changes:

• Actors now have their own local timelines manager, actor local animations should now be added here instead of the parent scenes timeline manager
  • TheApp has new property total_loaded which stacks total pre-loadable number of resources that have been loaded
  • TheApp has new property total_load_errors which denotes total number of resources that have not loaded due to error
  • TheApp has new event handler onResourceLoaded which can be used to detect when a file has been loaded. Note that by default this method calls onResourceLoadedBase(resource, error) which updates TheApp's internals. If you override this then ensure that you call TheApp.onResourceLoadedBase()
  • TheApp has new method countResourcesNeedLoading() which counts how many resources need loading
  • TheApp has new method waitForResources() which will delay start of the app until all global and loaded scene resources are loaded. It was also display a loading.png (if present) and display a percentage loading bar. TheApp.loading_screen define properties of the loading screen
  • TheApp areResourcesLoaded method removed
  • Sound class has preload property which when set will preload the sound
  • Sound and Bitmap classes now notify app when they have loaded or there was an error during load
  • Sound has new method load() which will load the sound effect
  • Timeline and TimelineManager classes now have find(name) method that allows searching for named animations and timelines
  • New property added to Animation called tween, when set to false frames will not be tweened. This also enables none numeric discreet values to be tweened
  • New name property added to Animation class
  • Xoml loader now loads timeline animations exported from Booty5 editor
  • Added new demo called Timeline Animations which demonstrates the use of timeline animation
  • Fix: Actor transform was being updated every frame
  • Fix: Actor children transforms were not getting updated correctly when parent transform was updating
  • Fix: Touch input now works on Windows Phone 8

Hi

Tested the demo on my galaxy s3 and all i got is just the background shown. No animations or any objects. Potrait and landscape.

**Oppss spoke too soon. Now it is shown correctly after i refreshed few times. But it is not smooth. (webgl enabled)

I'm currently experiencing issues on some mobile devices where it takes a refresh to get the darn thing to show, still looking into that, but will hopefully have a fix soon.

Did you test in Chrome or standard Android browser? I'm seeing bad frame rates using standard Android browser pre 4.4, even with the most basic of HTML5 apps. Deployment via CocoonJS is very smooth however.

Booty5 doesn't use WebGL, its canvas only at the moment. I'm looking at potentially adding Pixi to offer both

Looked at the issue with demos not loading without refresh. The console shows HTTP 500 error (internal server error), so it looks like the problem is down to the server hosting my web services, looks like I need to look for a new home for Booty5 :)

I have uploaded a build of the Flash style animation demo to here, would greatly appreciate it if you could heck to see if loads first time on your device. I checked on the devices that I had trouble with and it loads fine now.