Need some insight into the business end of html 5 game dev

EmeraldZone

Hey,

I have been thinking of committing seriously to html5 gamedev for the past few months. I plan on working on a portfolio over the next few months, just to refine my skills and get some work out their. While I have a good handle on the development side of things. I feel a bit lost when it comes to the business side and actually making money. I apologise if this is something that has been asking a million times before. What I would like to know is how do you guys go about getting income.

I am aware of licensing games but not sure of where the best place to go for that is. On the licensing point, how do you decide how much your game is worth? Apart from licensing, is there much demand from companies looking for developers on a contract basis? Finally while I don't have a grand vision of this being my main source of income at least not initially. Is html5 game dev a viable career option?

Thanks in advance 

Hi EmeraldZone,

Unless there is a compelling reason not to, go ahead and commit to making games.  There are many people willing to help you along the way.

However, I recommend you do not not worry about making money with games for now.  Instead, work on making games, seeing how other people like them, and how you enjoy making the games.  Making games can be fun, but making money is business, which is far from fun.  Business is always business, no matter whether it's making games or selling socks.  Once you feel like you can make games that people like to play, then you can give some thought as to whether you want to switch from hobby to business.

To satisfy your curiosity, read as much as you can on the web about making and selling games.  A good read to get started is: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/20/how-to-get-into-the-games-industry-an-insiders-guide

(It's not about HTML games specifically, but it still offers much good advice.)

Tom

Thanks for your reply Tom. I do have a few games made. All have really dodgy art. I am currently working with a friend of mine to add some proper art work to the games. Game development has been a hobby of mine for a good few years now, it is the reason why I got into programming and computer science. I am a web developer currently and it's really not scratching my creative itches. I think I need to turn my hobby into a job as I always find myself thinking of games to make while in work and I end up doing quick prototypes during lunch breaks and evenings. 

I am aware of licensing games but not sure of where the best place to go for that is

There's a section on this forum that lists a whole bunch of sponsor contact emails, it becomes 'unlocked' after a few posts.  Send these people a link to your game along with a brief description - if they like it they'll get in touch (either immediately or within a couple of months).  If they don't, most will probably not respond at all.  

Some like to own the game exclusively, others prefer to license non-exclusively and/or share ad revenue.

On the licensing point, how do you decide how much your game is worth?

FGL has a game shop for selling html5 games, the prices here will give you an indication of what other developers are expecting for their games https://www.fgl.com/html5shop/

Apart from licensing, is there much demand from companies looking for developers on a contract basis?

It has cropped up a few times for me, but nothing so far has appealed.  Others may have more experience of this.

Finally while I don't have a grand vision of this being my main source of income at least not initially. Is html5 game dev a viable career option?

Absolutely!  It may take a while to build up a decent contact list and you have to adapt to the market + turn out decent enough games pretty frequently but it's the most enjoyable "job" I've had. I don't perceive it lasting as a "career" as such but it's fun while it lasts!

• 1 month later...

Hi EmeraldZone,

If you are planning to flip your hobby into a career or at least an income source there are many things to consider. It’s a pity that we don’t have a Business section here, or at least I haven’t found it yet…

If you want to sell your games, you have to think about the players – who are they, what segment you want to target, what they like – design, features, type of game… I know it might sound nafff… at the moment, but if you thinking to sell your game through the publishers and companies who are looking for developers on a contract basis, you will find that they have a pretty clear idea what they want from a game, what features it has to have to appeal to a player. They are literally scanning the situation in the market.

There are other ways how to make money of the games and you really have to research these options, because if your selling plan A and B won’t gonna go through its better if you have something else in your pocket.

I found this in one of the forums the other day, might be helpful:

1.     How to sell your game:
http://www.amaranthia.com/downloads/How-to-Sell-your-Game.pdf

2.     Also

https://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.igda.org/resource/collection/0A36B138-B9E7-4FA4-BBAA-572F14697CB4/20140806_-_IGDA_Webinar_-_Dan_Adelman.pdf

There's some good advice with regards to marketing indie games, determining your audience, pricing, contacting press, etc.

3.     And finally I would also check what indie game marketing companies do…

http://indieviddy.tumblr.com/post/48171683915/getting-your-press-release-noticed

Good luck ;)