Broken links on this site

dbawel

Hi,

In trying to post links to scenes I have a problem with, the links below are calling the wrong HTML files:

http://www.qedsoft.c..._cube_test.html

http://www.qedsoft.c...x_new_test.html

These links are correct if I post them anywhere else.   :wacko:

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

David B. 

Post Script - Thanks to Wingnut, I corrected the links above so that the paths are correct.  I'm not sure how both of these links became broken, but it must have been human error - lesson learned. :blink:

Hi dbawel

Try this.  Edit that post again.  Once in edit mode, do a fast DOUBLE-click on the link, and a popup window should open.  Make sure that the url listed in that window... is the correct one for that link TEXT.

In other words, the TEXT for a url can say ONE thing, but the "underlying" URL for that link... can be a different thing (espeically if you have edited that underlying url).

Often, the best way to repair links where the text of the link doesn't match the underlying URL for the link... is to remove them and then paste-in the URLs again.  When you just paste-in the URL as text, the forum automatically uses the text AS the underlying url.

But if you edit the links as described above, it's pretty easy to screw up... where the underlying TRUE link doesn't match the TEXT of the link.  Try some experiments.  Paste-in the urls as text, then (re)save the post.  DO NOT press the link button.  Just paste-in the url text and save.

It takes some time to get familiar with this goofy editor. :)  The link button on top menu is best used ONLY when you want to make a link out of some standard text... like this.  I highlighted 'like this' and then pressed the link button, and pasted the url to the playground into the URL field.. 

But when wanting to use the full url as the link text... just paste the url into the editor and save the post (no link button pressing).  The forum editor will automatically set the underlying link... to match the text that you pasted.

Hard to explain.  In short, the text for your links.... do not match the underlying urls.  The cube version has an underlying url of the non-cube version, and the non-cube version has an underlying url of the cube version.  Your underlying urls somehow became reversed from one-another.

Practice a bit.  Good luck.

Hi,

Thank you for the info.  I never edited the text, but did copy and paste working links from my site.  I never experienced a link referencing a different URL simply from copying and pasting.  But I see what you are talking about, and now know to check.  You saved me allot of time.  :)

Cheers,

David B.