shaderMaterial custom attributes

Alvaro

Hi guys,

I have read some tutorials about ShaderMaterial, but I don't see in any of then if it is possible to add custom attributes apart from position, uv and normal.

What I would like is create a list of floats (one for each position) and keep it in the mesh (so far so good).

When creating the ShaderMaterial, I want to add this list as another attribute so I can take the right value for each position when rendering the material and work with it.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Hello, this is perfectly feasible using ShaderMaterial constructor:)

var myShaderMaterial = new BABYLON.ShaderMaterial("cloud", scene, {            vertexElement: "vertexShaderCode",            fragmentElement: "fragmentShaderCode",        },        {            needAlphaBlending: true,            attributes: ["position", "uv", "listOfStuff"],            uniforms: ["worldViewProjection"],            samplers: ["textureSampler"]        });

You have then to use mesh.setVerticesData("listOfStuff", data) to fill your data

Hi Deltakosh, I did exactly was you told me, but when I define and try to use the new attribute "listOfStuff" in the vertex and fragment files I am getting this error:

[.WebGLRenderingContext]GL ERROR :GL_INVALID_OPERATION : glDrawElements: attempt to access out of range vertices in attribute 3 

I have checked the mesh and I can see my new list of floats when doing the getVerticesDataKinds, it is looking good. The way I have defined the attribute in the shader is like this:

attribute float listOfStuff;

It looks like the new attribute is not properly set at the moment the vertex files is executing. I was expecting the same behavior we have with normal, uv and position. Do I have to manually set the attribute values using the "setFloats"? If that is the case, I have to create a new material for each mesh and I was using the same material for several meshes.

ideas?

Cheers.

Not sure if this is the right way of sharing this, so let me know about it.

I have the proof of concept ready and failing as expected. I am trying to replicated as much as possible what I am doing, so it should give you an idea.

I have created a dummy html file (it should work just clicking, well, fail as expected):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63244599/CustomAttributes/CustomAttributes.html

It also include a simple js file and two images.

Thank you!