Which Framework/Engine to Use?

Splashsky

Hey guys! First post here; just getting started with HTML5 game development. I've made a Flappy Bird clone using Phaser, but that's about the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

I came here because I'm going to need a lot of help to bring to life an idea I have. I want to rebuild the Japanese-style CCG genre in the Western world. (or at least the U.S.)

Basically, I need to know two things. First, if HTML5 would be suitable for an online collectible card game, much like Rage of Bahamut or Kantai Collection. Second, what engine would be most suitable for that type of game.

Here's a list of basic things that need to be done...

• Real time-based actions (such as waiting for cooldowns, constructing things, etc)
  • Simple, basic animations (for combat scenes and what-not)
  • Inventorying (people will have numerous cards in their collection)
  • Player-to-player interaction (basically, networking; allows for trades and PvP battles)

For game engines I would recommend construct 2 and game maker, and for frameworks I would have to say phaser since there's so many tutorials for it and for me personally, its the easiest framework to use with a lot of supporters. As for whats suitable, well that kind of depends on preference since they can all get the job done.

If I recall construct 2 has a fairly simple way of integrating multiplayer capabilities using node.js with their dedicated servers. Scirra currently offers their own multiplayer signalling server with a free one for testing and a paid one if you need a dedicated server.

Here's the link if your interested:

https://www.scirra.com/store/game-making-tools/multiplayer-signalling-server-161

I'm fairly new to multiplayer games in general so hopefully someone can provide you with a more detailed guideline on what you want.

For game engines I would recommend construct 2 and game maker, and for frameworks I would have to say phaser since there's so many tutorials for it and for me personally, its the easiest framework to use with a lot of supporters.

Oh, well, I guess those are engines... I guess framework was what I was asking about then, lol.

Alright, so it seems Phaser is the best choice. Is there any examples of Clash of Clans-like games made with HTML5? Doesn't even have to be multiplayer supported, just a tech demo or example.

Totally agree to Phempt! You may start at http://jsbreakouts.org . There are lot's of engines which shown one and the same game (phaser is also there). Test them on mobile devices too, to see which engine has problems. I was totally astonished that the Quintus engine is the fastest one... I tested also a lot of engines, but then started my own instead of fixing other engines errors. Knowing / fixing you down errors is much faster if you know what you do ;)