Support for video playback in StageXL

bp74

Hi guys,

For those who don't know - StageXL is a 2D render engine for the Dart programming language. Today we have released a new version with support for video textures. The render pipeline handles videos and images identically so you can transform, split, filter, mask, etc. videos like you do with images. Of course videos are supported with the Canvas2D and WebGL renderer.

Here is a demo: http://www.stagexl.org/samples/video/index.html

Best Greetings,
Bernhard

Hi,

Playing videos on mobile has some restrictions. Most devices only support the h.264 baseline profile, so you have to encode your files the right way. You also can only play one video at the same time and you have to load the video from a mouse or touch event. The demo i showed in my original post should run fine on Android phones with Chrome mobile (at least if the software is update to date). I've tested the demo on my CyanogenMod Samsung Galaxy S4 and it runs fine.

Unfortunately Firefox crashes very frequently ... btw. what's wrong with those FIrefox guys? Okay that's another topic ...

And of course there are iDevices which is again a different story. Currently i don't have an iOS 8 device for tests so i can't say much about this right now.

Bernhard

The best option is to beg for better video support in mobile browsers :) I understand the reasoning behind those restrictions, but there are so many other possibilities to make the CPU run hot or download huge amounts of data over the network. Thanks for the report about the problem on the Nexus 5. I will do some more tests with different devices tomorrow.