js13kGames competition 2013

end3r

The js13kGames competition for HTML5 game developers just started. The fun part of the compo is the file size limit set to 13 kilobytes. The main theme for 2013 is bad luck, though it's not mandatory. Competition lasts for a month - it started at 13:00 CEST, 13th August 2013 and will end at 13:00 CEST, 13th September 2013.

It's the second edition of the compo, you can play the games from 2012 or see the website with the winners.

There are plenty gamedev related prizes, three categories to choose from and great people in the judges board. See the rules for the detailed information or ask me directly here in this topic.

So, who's going to participate?

I'm tempted to give it a go. But I still don't know how to get the file that small. Do you have to draw images using the canvas api and use those as sprites?

Does anyone know how many lines of code that will be before minimzing? Or what kind of file size you should aim for before minimzing and compression?

I always liked size coding competitions in general. I even once wrote a complete windows game in just 1kb.

However, I don't get the limit of 13kb? Is there anything special about the number 13!? Guess I would be more attracted if the limit would be something like 4kb!?

Nevertheless, I do not want to discourage ppl to enter it. It's always cool to see javascript competitions and of course I am looking forward to see the results.

Good luck to everyone who enters.

That's really neat! I love the atmosphere.. The only issue is it is rather hard to make sense of the space and navigating, especially while moving because all you see is white. I suggest having minor texture for the floors, or maybe several corners are dimly lit, to make it more enjoyable. Other than that, I think it's already awesome!

Oooo, zipped?  It actually might be possible to use GM or something similar then.

My zip file weights less than 8kb and the game is nearly finished. The only difficult part is that you can't use images or too many external libraries, but it's totally doable to create a good game with 13kb. Just look at the previous entries.

• 2 weeks later...
Just wondering about the entry validation, are you going to validate/reject all entries at the same time?

Im just wondering because I submitted mine a few days ago, and Id like to be sure its approved before sept 13.

They will be accepted as they will be submitted, it's a matter of hours that yours (and others submitted already) will be published online - they are all fine. I just had to have the admin panel fixed, should be ok tomorrow. It's just too many things to manage by myself, sorry for the problems.

Sorry for posting below my own response. The lists of prizes and places (with prizes associated with them) are complete - it was growing and growing and the final value of all the prizes is around $20.000 - insane for me. Plus there are prizes for every single participant - indie games (The Few, McPixel, QbQbQb) and a few ebooks. The Server FAQ was also added for the Node.js category. Now the entries will be validated and accepted on the fly as the admin panel was fixed.

However, I don't get the limit of 13kb? Is there anything special about the number 13!? Guess I would be more attracted if the limit would be something like 4kb!?

The whole concept was created for fun. There was 1k compos, 4k, 10k so why not 13? It's just an original, memorable number and a bold try to make it lucky for one or two developers when they get their hands on the prizes.

The rules aren't so clear if the node.js files should be compressed too.

They should be - there is an input file now for the server part of the code in the submit form. I've also updated the Server FAQ.

After working on 1k and smaller prods, 13kb feels huuuuuge. I'll never have the time to fill that many bytes. :P

Come on, I'd love to see your entry to the compo! :)

I'm so in! Do we just submit out games by the deadline? Or is there a registration process?

You just have to submit it and after the review process it will be published. The earlier you do it the better as there are prizes for the most popular games (Twitter, Facebook and Google+ specials).