3dsmax exporter generate binary format

Dad72

Question:

I'm not sure to understand how the binary format work ?  What are their advantage, their difference ... When is there .incremental.babylon ? Binary replaces incremental ?

Thanks

Maybe a bug:

In the folder 'binary' that contains two files. The first .binary.babylon file is not compressed and the second file is empty (0 Ko).

I do not know if this is normal or not?

File test (.max, folder binary):

(I use 3ds Max 2015 now.)

The binary format is the evolution of the .incremental format. All meshes data are not store using json but binary format hence a great size optimization and a faster loading time.

There is no real problem using .binary instead of regular .babylon (just many files instead ofjust one .babylon)

All big scene on www.babylonjs.com are using binary format

Binary format is based on .binary.babylon file which contains plain JSON data (looks like any .babylon file except for mesh geometry data). 

All meshes data are stored into .babylombinarymeshdata files (one per mesh) loaded on demand by babylon.js

DK thank youfor precisions, but it seems to me that there was a problem. .babulonbinarymeshdata the file is empty.  Is this normal?

and .binary.babylon file is not compressed.

I joined you this zip

Hi,

The incremental format only works well if you have several meshes in your scenes. Is it your case?

Then, here how it works:

- there is the main .babylon file outlining the global scene with some kind of impostors inside it pointing to a geometry defined in another file

- this other file is named .babylonmeshdata 

By default both files are pure JSON. When switching to binary, only the .babylonmeshdata are converted from JSON to our binary format. It's not compressed. 

On our websites, we've put our sample scene using either a single .babylon JSON file or incremental JSON version using gzip on top of it. It's described more or less in this article I've written: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/davrous/archive/2014/05/22/why-and-how-we-migrated-babylonjs-com-to-microsoft-azure.aspx . We're also using a CDN in front of our website to serve the scene content. 

Some of the scenes are also using the binary version + gzip. We're gaining something like 40% on the size of the .babylonmeshdata using this approach, which is not that bad. Our Train sample is using incremental + binary + gzip on our www.babylonjs.com website. 

Bye,

David

Je doit mal m’exprimer. Ma question est ce que le fichier babylonbinarymeshdata générer qui est vide est normal, (il fait 0 Ko). Je signale ce qui me semble être un bug. Quand on exporte avec binary dans 3ds max, il me génère un fichier non compresser et un fichier vide dans le dossier binary. ce fichier vide, c’est normal ?

Merci