Ludum Dare 27: August 23 - 26, 2013

soybean

This weekend will be pretty busy. If you're a big fan of game dev competition, besides Flight Magic Run which is always on every week, this weekend will be the 27th Ludum Dare.

Topics are being voted right now, and you can participate to what topic it might be. Also, if you plan on entering Ludum Dare be sure to check out their rules.

Anyone here interested in joining? 

I will probably enter. It depends if I can think of something good for the theme.The 10 seconds theme sounds good. I Hope it's that one. I think I already have an idea for it. Although I don't know if I have the skills to actually make it.

The only base code that I wrote that I might use is my key input class and loading bar. It seems a bit daft to write a blog post to declare this, but I supposed I'd better. I'll probably use createjs again.

Every game I've made for fight magic run I've worked very hard on and used up nearly all my time with maybe 5 hours to spare. So I won't be making two games in one weekend.

... OR, include both themes on a single game.. so the game can enter for both competitions :D

Haha, yep. That's what I meant, might've worded it wrong.

I did attempt Ludum Dare before, but I always ended up with some natural force stopping me or important biz popping up. Hopefully this time it'll be smooth.

If the theme is alchemy I'm not doing it. The wiki says this

Alchemy is an influential philosophical tradition whose practitioners have, from antiquity, claimed it to be the precursor to profound powers. The defining objectives of alchemy are varied; these include the creation of the fabled philosopher's stone, the ability to transform base metals into the noble metals, gold or silver; and the elixir of life, which confers youth and longevity.

That sounds thrilling. Thousands of games about turning stuff to gold. No idea what I could do for that one.

I have a feeling that doing Fight Magic Run this weekend would be a sneaky way towards a win, since everyone else will be doing Ludum Dare...

Why not do both? 

They both start on the 23rd.. just need to make a game with multiple themes.  :P

... OR, include both themes on a single game.. so the game can enter for both competitions :D

>.>

<.<

I'm onto you guys :D

Seriously though.  There's nothing in FiMaRu's rules about not participating in another contest.  If you want to work on a combination of both themes and submit your game's url, that's legit.  We're all good. 

10 seconds in the forest... hmm.  My first thought is a metagame about the experience of playing Platoon for the NES

Or maybe adjusting facial expressions of a Christmas tree salesman in slow motion to appear credible and friendly. 

I'm not interesed to entry Ludum Dare due to huge activity... sometimes they ignore about feebacks and trying to be ambitious as hell.

With LD´s high participation one of two things could happen. 1) Your entry isn´t special enough to stand out, and vanishes into the ether without so much as a comment. Or 2) the theme sparks a moment of inspired genius and your entry comes to be considered amongst the best. LD is a big event, so lots of big sites publish rundowns of their favourite submissions; If your game is amongst the chosen that could amount to a lot of attention and a lot of feedback.

There's nothing wrong with being ambitious as hell, nothing at all.

True. I find people are trying to get attention through graphics that are wild and crazy, some are very cool too.

I like doing these kind of competitions as a way to test myself and see how far I can push in 48 hours. I suck in management, and I kinda want to crack that puzzle by doing sprint competitions like this and FiMaRu :).

I woke up this morning to some nice comments. http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-27/?action=preview&uid=25172

My game didn't turn out as I imagined. I simplified it, which I'm very glad I did. Also I realy wanted pixel art kind of graphics and a more serious look, but I think going with humor is a good idea when you can't draw, it kind of makes it look like I did it like that purpose. Like in my lava theme game I used helium style voices saying silly things.

I'm looking forward to playing and rating some games today.