Fight Magic Run Competition - "Forest" (Aug 23 - Aug 25)

Evan Burchard

Glad to hear you guys are into it.

If you're curious about how I pick themes, this is my current thinking.  If it's not interesting for you yet, don't worry too much.  There are only so many standard game objects/environments that can possibly appear as themes.  Because I have beginners in mind, I want things that might be fun to practice drawing and be useful for future games.  Also, it's easy to find examples of tangible objects and how they work with existing games.  If the people battling in FiMaRu were primarily artists, I would take a different approach, but I'm going for accessibility more than inspiration. 

If that's not a good approach, let me know what might work better for you.  In the mean time, I'll contemplate the conflict between inspiring, prescribing, and making the contests accessible.

I'd like to see some better themes honestly...I've been meaning to enter one of these again, but the themes have been so uninspired and dull :(

That's not a big a deal, none of the themes are "better"

What is worse about new theme was "Angry Birds" ?

Glad to hear you guys are into it.

If you're curious about how I pick themes, this is my current thinking.  If it's not interesting for you yet, don't worry too much.  There are only so many standard game objects/environments that can possibly appear as themes.  Because I have beginners in mind, I want things that might be fun to practice drawing and be useful for future games.  Also, it's easy to find examples of tangible objects and how they work with existing games.  If the people battling in FiMaRu were primarily artists, I would take a different approach, but I'm going for accessibility more than inspiration. 

If that's not a good approach, let me know what might work better for you.  In the mean time, I'll contemplate the conflict between inspiring, prescribing, and making the contests accessible.

It would be awesome if you pick mild controversial themes such as: "Hell", "Garbage", "Suicide", "Drug" etc. I don't think anyone would complain about this event. It's about the videogame. You shouldn't base the themes from Ludum Dare, it's too overdone.

Make sure don't pick problematic topic such as: "Nationalism" and "Religion" because it will affect the developers who have own political beliefs. 

AHhhhh i want to use clay.io for score for mz game but always bugs.... i can not show leaderboard.... why? i used clay.io in other games same way and all works.... i do not understand.... Should I publish my game for players on clay.io and then i can see leaderboards? Or?... I have only saved game for me on clay.io not for public... 

AHhhhh i want to use clay.io for score for mz game but always bugs.... i can not show leaderboard.... why? i used clay.io in other games same way and all works.... i do not understand.... Should I publish my game for players on clay.io and then i can see leaderboards? Or?... I have only saved game for me on clay.io not for public... 

Iv noticed when using Clay.io that after you create leaderboards, achievements, etc on the site it takes up to an hour to show up in my games :/. 

And nvm not participating in this competition, I wont have enough time :c, for sure the next one though!

well i dont have time but i find open themes like forest very good cause you can imagine so many different stuff

I'd like to see some better themes honestly...I've been meaning to enter one of these again, but the themes have been so uninspired and dull :(

just to mention that the simple theme ocean brought you a quite cool game which made you a nice profit~

actually i had some interesting ideas for forest, i think my next game might be around this theme

Yes, as for themes I don't think you should focus towards "helping art".  Most game devs aren't going to get much better at art through a 48 hour compo, I took 1 or more art class every year k-12 and I still suck.  I would like to see themes that make you think about gameplay and inspire fun rather than looks.

Magnetism, Inverse Colors, even genre specific like RTS would be a little better.  Constraint breeds creativity which is why people love to do jams/compos, and using setting as a theme isn't very constraining.

All that being said, I love what you are trying to do here and even if not inspirational in gameplay, it is motivating for beginners to finish small projects, which is probably the biggest hurdle for starters, so the community thanks you.

Rough weekend.. so exhausted.. As much as I feel my game is pretty bland, I'm going to put this up anyway.

Here's my entry.

It's called FeistyForest. Story is: Riding Hood brings food for her Grandma that lives in a hut deep inside the forest. One day, a Forest Fairy stops Riding Hood and takes away her basket of food. He challenges Riding Hood to complete his game and will return her basket if she succeeds.

The game is a mix of both themes: Forest and 10 seconds (from LudumDare #27). The idea was creating mini games for Riding Hood to complete within a 10 second timeframe. For every challenge complete, comes another challenge which increases difficulty.

Anyway, I feel rather disappointed with the results. Not as much as I depicted originally. This time I also feel rather exhausted by the process, not sure why. But nonetheless it was a good experience.

Capture-1.pngCapture-2.pngCapture-3.pngCapture-4.pngCapture-5.pngCapture-6.png

Any feedbacks are welcome :)

One way to mix up the themes a little could be to throw in a few abstract nouns amongst the concrete ones: love, knowledge, misery, truth, justice, freedom, hope etc. It could get people thinking more about story lines, narrative and adding an emotional aspect to their games, rather than rely on gameplay mechanics alone.

Cool contest. I hope to join in in 3 weeks when I should have a free weekend.

Here's my game: http://www.lowren.net/public/cutthetree/

A tree is falling from the sky (don't ask me why). You have to click on the screen to cut the tree in half, by targeting more precisely as possible the white line on the wood. The more precise you are, the more points you get. At the end of the game, the result is announced and you get a "lumberjack skills grade".

post-3779-0-07962500-1377466529.png    post-3779-0-56172400-1377466537.png

Here's my game: http://www.lowren.net/public/cutthetree/

A tree is falling from the sky (don't ask me why). You have to click on the screen to cut the tree in half, by targeting more precisely as possible the white line on the wood. The more precise you are, the more points you get. At the end of the game, the result is announced and you get a "lumberjack skills grade".

attachicon.gif2.png    attachicon.gif3.png

Nice one!

It's hard to play with mouse, otherwise playing with mobile devices would be easier. :)

Here is my entry:

http://powerupware.com/HitMagicRun/Forest/

Not really completed, but I only completed it by 6 hours due to my issues that I couldn't use my computer.

@Lowren: Nice! I love the idea and graphics :). I think this is a strong candidate to win!

@joannesalfa: Lovely :). Although I'm not sure what to do.. the bunnies get eaten every time :(. Am I supposed to make a hole or hide somewhere? I think it might be nice to let the player explore a bit, so the wolf is rather farther away?