PandaJS & Global Game Jam 2015

OttoRobba

Hey fellas! I was wondering if anybody else used Panda for their game :D

We made a 2D, Harvest Moon-esque plataformer. You plant, harvest and sell crops, using the money to expand your platform by buying new tiles. We had a bit less time (close to total of 27 hours) due to some stuff but I'm quite happy with the result.

The other programmer in the team had never used CoffeeScript nor PandaJS but he adapted quickly and he loved how clear and easy things were. The module system helped tons to keep things running and overall, it was an awesome experience. Only thing I miss is having a game.keyboard.pressed because keyboard.down for menus is crazy.

cap2_0.png?itok=doM7c5MB

You can play it here

C'mon peeps, show your GGJ Panda games! :D

Lovely art :D Glad to see a new game made with Panda.js from GGJ.

A question about the game: wow much do I need to expand a tile?

I see the icon shows current "action", but it does nothing when I press space where it should expand.

You're really lucky btw. I planned to use Panda.js in this GGJ but the other team members are not familiar with it and do not want to learn to use a new tool :/ Finally we chose HaXeFlixel. It's a little pity, but still a great experience since it's the first time I made the decision to join GGJ for the first time. I did participate other GJ before but just worried how can I manage it in such a big event :P

Ah, sorry about that, you need 50 rupees to buy the first tile, 100 for the next, 150, 200, so on. The UI as a whole needs a lot of work but the art team was kinda tired at that point. We do plan to work more on it so we get a nice prototype.

I was, initially, the only programmer so in that sense, we went with whatever I proposed.

The other programmer had never participated in a game jam so he was willing to try new things.

Oh yeah, even though you didn't get to use Panda it is a great experience - game logic is interesting because, framework or no framework, it is mostly the same.