Multiplayer client-server game

ketys

I say hello to all game developers! :)
I am beginner at game development, so I would like to ask some questions at first. I've got to create multiplayer game for at least 50 players. It will be a game like a travian, goodgame empire, ... etc. so the database server storage is needed :) Everything in game will be controlled by mouse-clicking on objects, except moving on world map and entering some text in input fields... I've chosen Phaser for developing game on client-side. I would like to avoid future problems so:

1. What database should I use for storing the game datas?
  2. Is real-time networking necessary in this case?
  3. Which compoments (except Phaser) will I need? (socket.io? nodeJS? ...)

Thank you for all your tips!

For very fast development I would recommend the Meteor.js framework, it might not be the optimal choice for a backend but when it comes to game design I ussually want to get to a working prototype ASAP (just so I can test my idea on real people and see if my game is fun for them) and Meteor is probably the fastest way, it will provide you with a DB, sockets, html templating (Blaze), and can even handle deployment and hosting for you, you can deploy any project to their servers for free.

Also, phaser works GREAT with it. 

https://www.meteor.com/

Thanks for answer, but this application will be my bachelor work, so i'm not going to develop some prototype :-) 
I was searching in the morning something about my problem again. Which option shoud I choose?

1. phaser + ajax, php, mysql (is it possible?)
  2. phaser + websockets

What do you recommend?

• 4 weeks later...

I say hello to all game developers! :)

I am beginner at game development, so I would like to ask some questions at first. I've got to create multiplayer game for at least 50 players. It will be a game like a travian, goodgame empire, ... etc. so the database server storage is needed :) Everything in game will be controlled by mouse-clicking on objects, except moving on world map and entering some text in input fields... I've chosen Phaser for developing game on client-side. I would like to avoid future problems so:

1. What database should I use for storing the game datas?
  2. Is real-time networking necessary in this case?
  3. Which compoments (except Phaser) will I need? (socket.io? nodeJS? ...)

Thank you for all your tips!

Once again I am going to shamelessly introduce AppWarp :P , the multiplayer game engine, on which me and my team work. AppWarp is a real time multiplayer game engine.

The beauty of AppWarp is that it is a Cloud based service. So, you don't even need to deploy and maintain any server. In fact you don't even need to write server side code. All you need to do is make API calls through our JS SDK. And It's free for indie game developers.This can save a lot of your resources. You should check it out atleast for once.

Here is the dev center link http://appwarp.shephertz.com/game-development-center/html5-game-developers-home/

Thanks

...travian... Is real-time networking necessary in this case?

Travian is most definitely not "real-time." Every time you send a request to the server, it checks time stamps and acts on whatever it needs to. Time to finish that building? Time to start that battle? Time to do  whatever?

So it's more like "fake real-time." If nobody logs in for two days, none of those battles, etc. would happen until somebody fires up a request to do something.