Cocos2d-JS, anyone using it?

drmop

@booty5

I've had a look at your editor and it looks very nice. You said you don't know which framework to start with!

Why not one of the ones on this forum! Panda JS is AWESOME. It has some features I haven't seen in other engines, such as hires asset swapping, which means you game looks crisp on all devices.

It's also incredibly easy to use, all it needs is more exposure.

I've made 2 games with it now and loved the process ...

Lightybulb

ClickPlaytime5

Keep up the good work on booty!

I'm trying Cocos2d-JS for the upcoming game. 

Big thing about it: "native bindings" for native applications. I.e. when you create a sprite, it is implemented natively in C/OpenGL on Android/iOS and with canvas/webgl in html5 browser. Wrapping arbitrary html5 code into apps is still HUGE pain, thus Cocos2d JS is really promising here.

However, this is relatively new player in html5 world. So, you will probably find issues, smaller community, etc. For example, my immediate finding was that there are no solid bindings for TypeScript.

If both native apps AND html5 version is not a priority for you, I would suggest you look at more mature HTML5 players:

- Phaser as solid well-supported end-to-end game engine (or Pixi JS if you just need rendering)

- CreateJS as a collection of rendering, preloading, sound and tweening libs

@Ninjadoodle - Thanks, I will take a look at Panda also, the general idea is that I assess a number of different frameworks and pick the one closest in terms of functionality to the Booty5 engine first, simply because it will be the easiest for me to write a new Xoml.js that can convert the exported JSON to the frameworks objects. The idea is to eventually support many different frameworks by simply supplying a Xoml.js and probably a support class that handles any missing functionality for each different framework

@sbat - Thanks, I took a look at Cocos2d-js and was impressed with the native implementation, this could solve a lot of potential speed issues for more complex games. I also have some experience with native Cocos2d-x which may help speed up implementing it. Not heard of CreateJS, will also add that one to the list

I'm also using cocos2d-JS for current game I'm developing right now.

So far everything works fine, not sure on how it will go later with QA on more devices when it will be released.

Also native compile with jsb bindings on android works without changes.

And it seems cocos2d team is fixing bugs quite quickly and community is also responsive on forum.

Ported current game in dev from Phaser, render performance on html5 build is better(5-10FPS) when with pixi.js, but it's just only 2 devices I have tested on.

drawPrimitives is very slow on cocos2d-js html5 build, comparing to Phaser, but not sure about it, maybe it's just kind of bug.