OKAÏ - LD27

Rongefilet

I've been following this forum since a long time (as I started to learn how to make games with HTML5) and I finaly decided to sign in as i've complete something showable.

So a friend and I have been doing the last Ludum Dare (Jam, several people and 72h compo) and we came up with this:

25563-shot0.jpg

25563-shot2.jpg

OKAI is a survival game set on a planet with a 10 seconds day & night cycle. You must survive as long as possible, avoiding night spirits contact, gathering fruits to restore your health and rest to be able to jump again. 

Controls: 
- LEFT & RIGHT arrows to run 
- UP arrow to jump 
- DOWN arrow to sleep

And the links:

LD Jam Entry 

Play here

Edited by Rongefilet
Added missing links :)

I like the idea - and your graphics are great; I really like it :)

A few suggestions:

• Add a loader!
    It took me a while to load the game - I thought it was broken since the canvas just remained black. Display some kind of progress somewhere so people know whats going on.

• Make day/night changes soft
    I think it would add much to the games atmosphere if the sun would slowly rise and sink (and wander across the sky) and colors shift slowly from day to night.
    I know you are using two different spritesets for day/night, but alpha blending could already make up a nice effect.

• Add some kind of threat for days
    Maybe sandworms or something? 

Just take this as suggestions - no demands :)
Your game is really great - especially since its your first one!

Thanks for feedbacks !

For the loader I knew I had to add one but I used Phaser only a few times for little prototypes before this one and I learned as I coded. Without documentation the only way to figure out how to use some features is to dig in the framework itself, we finished the game seven minutes before deadline, no time left to take my shovel again. Now that I have sign in here, I think I will require the mighty knowledge of the community more often. ^^

The theme of the Ludum Dare was "10 seconds" so the starting idea was a 10 seconds day & night. We choosed a fast transition bewteen day and night to give player a clear feedback. The day's goal was to choose between gathering the health or stamina I don't think we will change anything about it. We will release a second version of the game once the LD results are published (not to interfere with it) with a better balance, two monsters added at night and changes in the enemy spawning logic.

It's great to get some gameplay and technical feedbacks, until now comments were only about graphis. My partner wets his pants but it was no use for me. ^^"

I couldn't play the game , it has no loading bar and it took forever to load (I left it for over 20 minutes and played other games , still nothing). 

I'd love to be able to play it though , the graphics are really awesome, Very unique , out of pure curiosity , where can I find some art portfolio of  the artist who made these graphics?