[WIP] Super Combat Squadron

sanojian

I hope it is okay to post before I have a playable build.

WAhiCFu.png

Title Screen

vhD44uE.png

First in-game screenshot

Super Combat Squadron is a casual approach to the RTS genre; easy to learn and play with no base building aspects. The game focuses on capture points that generate resource, and controlling/positioning your units effectively.

It is built using Phaser.io and WebRTC.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great!

A few questions:

* Are you concerned about copyright as a lot of the artwork seems to mimic that of Advanced Wars?

* How did you approach path finding?

* How did you approach unit targeting logic? i.e. do you units simply attack those closest? How do they target, with overlap, etc?

I'm actually making a medieval RTS but it's not styled as casual. Instead it will have full-blown classic RTS gameplay. 

Thanks for your comments.

1.  Do you think I should be concerned?  I have talked with the artists and he has made attempts to make the graphical look distinct from the game that inspired him, Advanced Wars.  I have never played Advanced Wars.  Do you think it is still too close?

2. I am using EasyStar with weighted terrain.

3. Currently units attack the closest target.  I have plans for more intelligent targeting but it is not implemented. yet.  I am not sure what you mean by "overlap"

Good luck on your project!

• 1 year later...

Both multiplayer and single player modes are functioning.  The demo will probably only be single player because we have no matching service implemented yet for multiplayer.  It is simply first-come, first-serve.

Monetize?  We are doing it for the love at the moment.  No decision on how to monetize.  Any suggestions?

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, sanojian said:

We have started an internal alpha for the game.  Here is some footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIaClzKlKNo

Looks great. Will definitely try it out once there is a public build ready.

Only thing I'm not a big fan of is that you can infinitely stack units on top of each other.

As for any monetization suggestions; none really. I am curious how both you and the guys making Feudal Wars are gonna go about it. You both have a pretty competitive looking rts game.

From what I've read is that RTS players are pretty hardcore when it comes to balance. It is difficult to retain them but if you do they are pretty loyal players.

4 hours ago, Goblet Ed said:

Only thing I'm not a big fan of is that you can infinitely stack units on top of each other.

Yeah we don't like that either, its just that collisions are obscenely difficult to code in a nonbuggy way and after a lot of research, the programmer said it'll be basically like 3 months nonstop exclusively working on collision code to get it to work so right now we're focusing on more immediate deliverables.

• 1 year later...