[WIP] Flight Sim - "Tunnan and Friends"

Photonfrog

Play it at: http://photonfrog.com/tunnan/latest/client.html

This is a hobby project I have been running for about two years now. It is a WebGL client using the goo engine for rendering and ammo.js for trimesh physics. The aerodynamics and game loop is written from scratch in JavaScript. In this particular version the UI is a dom layout with some css styling.

Screenies:

post-13289-0-95801900-1424685173_thumb.jpost-13289-0-08422200-1424685226_thumb.jpost-13289-0-42291500-1424685269_thumb.jpost-13289-0-54019400-1424685199_thumb.j

If you need some help figuring out how to fly you can glimpse some of the control mechanics from this video: 

• 2 weeks later...

http://photonfrog.com/tunnan/latest/client.html

A new version with a large volume of changes is now available.

Major points:

* New UI system. Rendered using Canvas2D as a texture in 3D space.

* New particle system (handles stretching for bullet trail effects, also rather WIP)

* Removed old content (needs to be rebuilt using new data pipeline)

* Switched to only supporting the F-14 Tomcat

* Added several UI systems, radar, light configuration, hud brightness controls and more.

* Removed all Dom rendered UI

TunnanTomcat.jpg

Previous version is archived for reference at http://photonfrog.com/tunnan/latest/client.html

And thanks for the feedback so far  :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Spent some more time fixing this up a bit. 

Visually most noticeable is the new Aircraft Carrier. I spent a week or so of evenings modelling and texturing this version of USS Enterprise CVN 65. Which has some history such as figuring in some relatively well known movie about F-14 pilots. I have also added quite a chunk of sound design, stretching my ability to use the WebAudioAPI for getting the sounds in place. Most of these sounds and music snippets are lazily loaded when the game client wants to play them but I think they still load pretty quickly.

With this much sounds in place I also had to add a settings system for controlling the mix with sound effects and music which stores your configuration to localStorage so you don't have to do it over. This mechanism is also used for the other settings and Game Pad configuration. Some of these settings are a bit tricky to understand such as the UI Blend mode and environment things. If it goes wonky just keep tweaking or delete localstorage and start over..

Configuring a Game Pad is a bit tricky. Open the Controls button and press Setup. That makes the client look for a game pad and if you press a button on it you may get it connected. Most controllers I have tested except for xbox controllers also need you to either reset the driver or all chrome browesr windows for you to be able to use it more than once. Once in setup modes you should be able to follow the on screen process, with some practice perhaps. It should support multiple controls so if you have a fancy setup with special throttle controls etc that just should work, I have not tried those myself.

Main changes summary:

- Music and ambient sounds with radio chatter and such.

- New Carrier Model

- Game Pad support

- Ui pixel scale controls

- Renderer Pixel scale controls

- Misc performance optimizations

new_carrier.jpg

The new sound controls also allow you to adjust how loud the convolution reverb effect should be for each channel. This level is adjusted by dragging the little slider in the sound control panel above each channel main level slider. In the picture below you see that little slider in labeled FX Send.

sound_ctrl.jpg