Unreal Engine 4 is now free (with revenue share)

tumira

UE4 now costs 5% of your earnings.

Nothing changed there. It used to be $19/mo plus the 5% of your gross income above $3K per quarter per product.

So the conditions are exactly the same as before, they just lost the monthly subscription fee.

I'll probably be switching to Unity if I had to choose a 3d multiplatform framework, but that's just me.

We use unity at work, too. I had a stab at ue4 a few weeks back, just for fun. The graphics output is impressive and the toolset is developed quite nicely, very noob-friendly. 

What I sorely miss (and that's the reason unity will remain) is a scripting level below their Blueprint visual programming. While this is nice to plug a few states together I found it overly complicated and confusing for formulas, for example. 3 simple lines of Javascript turn into a whole screen of spaghetti cabling, if your formula has a few brackets and conditionals. And going down to the C++ API for something like that is overkill.

I see why people are attracted to ue4 and for certain types of games it is very convenient with incredible output - but it surely won't kill off every other engine (imho).

One major difference between UE4-generated HTML apps and that of native HTML/Javascript is that they (UE4, Unity, Flash) produce one monolithic code for download.  All the benefits that come from dynamic nature of the web are ignored (remember the URL is meant for dynamic resource loading.)  The initial wait time for game to launch is painfully long.  Case in point, check out mozilla's demo of Epic Citadel.