Porting your HTML5 games to Windows Phone

ozdy

Thanks for sharing, very helpful. Although I found the performance part the total opposite. WP (8.1) are the only low budget phones I get my games to run at 60FPS at even 960x720 pixel (simple HTML5, no wrapping, Lumia 630). So it may be a good idea to do some performance research using profiling tools.

I meant 60FPS in pure browser view, no CooconJS and alike. But I haven't tried how a wrapper (custom or solution) cause a slow down yet.

Ah, OK then, yeah, a webview shouldn't be slower than the browser. It's just that the next game I have in mind - jump and run with scrolling, will be noticeably heavier than my current one and probably won't hit 30 fps on my Lumia 530...

The Lumia devices need a special handling regarding how textures are blitted. If you have the change, modify the order they are blitted to minimize state changes. Also the react positively on how you write JS code and punish you more than other phones if you don't follow general rules like those stated here: 

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2012/11/05/writing-fast-memory-efficient-javascript/

I hope that helps a bit. Maybe it's also less of a hassle if Windows 10 is out.

Good post, it's sad that IE is the only major browser that does not support Web Audio.

Did you use WebGL? I noticed much better performance on Lumia when using WebGL.

I just tried the Pixi.js bunny mark - http://adireddy.github.io/demos/pixi-haxe/bunnymark.html. It should use WebGL with Canvas fallback - on Desktop I get 25K bunnies at 60 fps, but on my IEMobile Lumia 530 I get just 500 bunnies at 22 fps :( Therefore, I don't think it will make a difference.

And if anyone is wondering - last 2 weeks I have 0 downloads :(

I just tried that Bunny Mark Link on a Nokia/Lumia 520

I get:

600 bunnies / 37fps

1200 bunnies / 25fps

1600 bunnies /22fps

I recently ported a my Worm Copter game to Windows Phone. The game is also slow on the other platforms.  Here are the stats:

Windows Phone = 13 downloads in 20 days

App Store = 74 downloads in 90 days,

Google Play =31 downloads in 90 days

I've hardly promoted the game so not much activity. I'm using Construct 2. 

I just tried the Pixi.js bunny mark - http://adireddy.github.io/demos/pixi-haxe/bunnymark.html. It should use WebGL with Canvas fallback - on Desktop I get 25K bunnies at 60 fps, but on my IEMobile Lumia 530 I get just 500 bunnies at 22 fps :( Therefore, I don't think it will make a difference.

http://www.goodboydigital.com/pixijs/bunnymark/

This gives me 3000 bunnies @ 60fps on Lumia 920, and 1000 bunnies @ 50 fps on Lumia 620.

Are you sure you are running IE11 / WP 8.1? IE10 does not support WebGL.

I think so, this is my user agent - B4VJxUJCUAA8Ay7.png . I'll try that benchmark link you gave me when I get home as I don't have the phone with me right now. Do you get these high result on my benchmark link? Maybe it's a Lumia 530 being weak, although though it does play 3d native games nicely.

I'm getting only 30fps @ 3000 bunnies (Lumia 920) on your pixi-haxe link, i doubt that it's using too old version of Pixi which WebGL does not work correctly on IE, or then there is something else wrong with that pixi-haxe integration.

Yes, I can get ~1300 bunnies on my Lumia 530 with 60 fps with your link! The sad thing is that it always crashes within a minute :(