[WIP] WarSim - roguelike + action - benchmarks + multiplayer tests needed :)

remvst

Hello everyone, here is a game I've been working on the side for a while: WarSim.

The game is a classic top down shooter, all you have to do is to shoot the enemies down.

warsim-01-thb.png warsim-02-thb.png warsim-03-thb.png

There are currently 3 game modes:

- classic: levels get bigger and contain more enemies, you just have to kill all enemies to clear a level

- survival: you start in a bigger level, enemies spawn here and there and you have to survive as long as possible in that level

- multiplayer: free for all deathmatch in a medium-sized arena

Levels are randomly generated and change every day at 12:00PM UTC (on all game modes).

The game is aimed for both desktop and mobile.

Anyway, right now I'm only posting a "technical demo" of the game, as I'd need to see how bad it performs on other devices. If you feel like helping, just open http://warsim.tap2play.io/, watch the show and let me know which number is displayed on the top right hand corner of the screen.

Also, I'm looking for people to test the multiplayer. If you're interested, just let me know and I'll give you a link so we can play. The more, the merrier :)

Hey! Looks good, I'm getting 50-55FPS and 35fps when I go back to it(although it plays the same). Bit of movement lag sometimes but good overall! Using firefox btw.

Nice job on that RGB channel distortion effect, looks really good.

I'd love to test the multiplayer, cheers.

Since I had to cover many areas while making the game, I'm going to write a series of articles about the development.

Here is the first one: Optimizing WarSim

Let me know if it was useful for you ;-)

This is really cool. I'm really curious about the technology used to develop this - what tools/frameworks (if any) did you use?

I used quite a bunch of libraries for that one:

- PIXI.js for the rendering

- howler.js for the sound

- socket.io for the multiplayer

- store.js for user data

- marmottajax for the AJAX calls

- alertify for prompting the user name

- chance.js for random stuff (pretty awesome library btw)

- Font.js to load custom fonts

I like it overall. not too much of a fan of the lock-on mechanic. it seems hard to control/random but maybe I just did not understand how the target selection works. i got a little bored by level 8 and let myself get killed, to see what happens. It would be nice to not have to start from level 1 again :) 

it would also be nice not to have to use the mouse for the menu

Hello everyone, here is a game I've been working on the side for a while: WarSim.

The game is a classic top down shooter, all you have to do is to shoot the enemies down.

warsim-01-thb.png warsim-02-thb.png warsim-03-thb.png

There are currently 3 game modes:

- classic: levels get bigger and contain more enemies, you just have to kill all enemies to clear a level

- survival: you start in a bigger level, enemies spawn here and there and you have to survive as long as possible in that level

- multiplayer: free for all deathmatch in a medium-sized arena

Levels are randomly generated and change every day at 12:00PM UTC (on all game modes).

The game is aimed for both desktop and mobile.

Anyway, right now I'm only posting a "technical demo" of the game, as I'd need to see how bad it performs on other devices. If you feel like helping, just open http://warsim.tap2play.io/, watch the show and let me know which number is displayed on the top right hand corner of the screen.

Also, I'm looking for people to test the multiplayer. If you're interested, just let me know and I'll give you a link so we can play. The more, the merrier :)

Bravo. Well done! 

This game is fucking baddass!

Love everything about it. Extremely fun to play. Sign me up for the multiplayer testing. 

I think as you progress, double the amount of AI spawns. It would be much more enjoyable and intense imo. Make it harder. The weapon choices are great. A lot of variety.

- Perhaps implement a knife? 

- Run feature?

I think as you progress, double the amount of AI spawns. It would be much more enjoyable and intense imo. Make it harder. The weapon choices are great. A lot of variety.

- Perhaps implement a knife? 

- Run feature?

You probably played it on desktop, which is way easier than mobile to control. I could increase it a little bit, but not double it.

I like the knife idea, I thought about it before. Maybe automatically stab enemies that are really close?

The run feature is definitely on my mind as well. Maybe I'll increase the speed, I feel like it's a bit too slow anyway.

For the multiplayer, it's actually available, you just have to join when somebody is on it. I can join if you really want to try it ;)

I like it overall. not too much of a fan of the lock-on mechanic. it seems hard to control/random but maybe I just did not understand how the target selection works. i got a little bored by level 8 and let myself get killed, to see what happens. It would be nice to not have to start from level 1 again :)

it would also be nice not to have to use the mouse for the menu

The autoaim is actually because it's hard to aim on mobile. If it was just me, I'd totally drop it but that'd make the game way harder and frustrating. Right now, to lock onto an enemy, you have to be facing him (and have no obstacles between you and him). Otherwise that'd be even easier if it locked even from the back.

I'll see if I can implement something for the menus to be able to use the keyboard, but even with the game being pretty desktop-oriented, I'll still get way more people on mobile.

Thanks for the feedback guys anyway. This is still a work in progress, though really close to completion, and right now I think I'll increase the number of enemy spawns on classic mode, and the walking speed ;)

Hello,

Really liked the game.Tried multiplayer, played with one more player. just curious, is there a way to display how many players is currently logged in? It was kinda tough at the beginning because I thought I was there alone. I don't know if I just missed this feature, so sorry if it's already there.

Hello,

Really liked the game.Tried multiplayer, played with one more player. just curious, is there a way to display how many players is currently logged in? It was kinda tough at the beginning because I thought I was there alone. I don't know if I just missed this feature, so sorry if it's already there.

Yeah it's pretty annoying right now. I'll add something for that (already got complaints, and I find it lame myself).

Thanks for the feedback ;)