Second Clarification Request Question :)

Back around 2002ish, round there, I was introducing my youngest son to the web and made up some "hacked" shockwave games for him to play. I was and still am a huge fan of room escape games so since I didn't have, nor couldn't afford flash and photoshop, I used regular old html, css, dhtml, and js, coupled with some swiped Bryce 3D "room" images I found in some gallery, and made a sad version of a room escape game. I didn't know how to collect inventory assts or make them interactive so I made small hotspots that were scripted to pop up little js windows (or dhtml windows styled with css), made it as interactive as a web page could be, up to and including some js and dhtml games, like the puzzle and break out, so when the thing was cleared it would reveal a code that was to be put in the url bar like a puzzle trail. I used a js/dhtml quiz script to load different pages based on answers...and then added some cool transitions.

I was proud of it but it was still truly low rate compared to the professional games, and even indie flash games. 

I still don't have flash and photoshop and though I've been leaning toward forking up the monthly fee for them, I've also been aware that HTML5 is smoking flash anyway and is becoming the standard...and just about anything that can be done in flash/ps can be done in HTML5 and gimp....and if this is factually true, I'd just as soon not mess with flash/ps. 

Based on my description above, is this possible *now* with H5/C3/JS and actually turn it into a mobile app or web based game? If so, please, please direct me to the way to finish it up so it's ready for those platforms. Or is it really just web pages?

I guess I am feeling like it can't be that easy! I've got to be missing something between the coding side and the playing side, how to get it into those formats and so on.

Any feedback you can provide is greatly appreciated.

PS - I signed up with PlayCanvas, Clara.IO, and was wondering if you've had experience with those and if room escape games can be done with them at all. I do have other game genre interests but the room escape web page thing I did just always stayed with me, wishing I could redo it for the 21st century without flash ;-p

Thanks for any responses.

Is this possible *now* with H5/C3/JS and actually turn it into a mobile app or web based game.

Yes, it's just a "website" and mobile devices has browsers that are not much different from desktop browsers.

If you want to have it as an application instead - it requires more gymnastics but is still possible - https://www.ludei.com/cocoonjs/

PS - I signed up with PlayCanvas, Clara.IO, and was wondering if you've had experience with those.

Clara.io works out of box with Three.js - I've been testing it out recently:

http://playgroundjs.com/demos/threejs/

http://playgroundjs.com/three

It's also really easy to cast a ray to get object under mouse position in Three.js - http://threejs.org/docs/#Reference/Core/Raycaster

Nevertheless - it's 3d and it is considerably harder than coding 2d game made of prerendered images.

I bet you have had a good look at the code - if it doesn't scare you - you can give this approach a try.

Otherwise try Playcanvas - it should solve a lot of logic for you.

If it is still too hard - try 2D with Phaser.

If it is still too hard - try 2D with MightyEditor.

If it is still too hard - try Gamemaker