Get light level in certain position?

joshcamas

Hey guys!

Is it possible to get the light level in a certain area/position? I'm needing this for my stealth-based game!

I'm also thinking of making it so in the dark people's pupils dialate, and in the light they shrink. Just for fun! xD

Thanks!

Hey,

Light is computed through vertex and fragment shaders, so the actual information is not really accessible outside of that.

Depending on how your scene is set up and the type of your active lights, you can probably find out if a point is illuminated by casting a ray from this point to the active(s) light source(s), and see if that ray intersects something. If the ray does not collide with anything, then you can modulate the light level by distance for example.

I guess you are talking about spotlight or pointlight ? (as directional and hemispheric lights have infinite range, so constant intensity : http://babylondoc.azurewebsites.net/page.php?p=22071 )

Maybe you can simulate the local light intensity according to the distance of your mesh from the light origin (and/or the light decay if any) if nothing intersects the raylight between the mesh and the light origin.

[EDIT] ooops, this duplicates Jahow's post, sorry.