Game engine with UI?

WombatTurkey

As is often the case, the answer is 'it depends'.  :D Do you want to make 2D games, 3D games or both? Do you prefer to work with an installed app or in the cloud? Are you looking for an engine with a coding interface? And so on....

So I work on something called PlayCanvas, which has a really slick UI (IMHO). Check it out:

post-199-0-78330400-1430150262_thumb.png

It kind of looks a bit like the a lot of game editors (hierarchy, 3D view, inspector, assets, etc), except this UI is in the browser (nothing to download and install, works on any device) and is multi-user (think Google Docs). PlayCanvas is designed mainly for making 3D games but 2D games are possible too. And did I mention it's open source?

But if you're just interested in exclusively making 2D games then there are lots of options open to you (GameMaker, Construct2 and so on).

As is often the case, the answer is 'it depends'.  :D Do you want to make 2D games, 3D games or both? Do you prefer to work with an installed app or in the cloud? Are you looking for an engine with a coding interface? And so on....

So I work on something called PlayCanvas, which has a really slick UI (IMHO). Check it out:

attachicon.giftitanfalleditor.png

It kind of looks a bit like the a lot of game editors (hierarchy, 3D view, inspector, assets, etc), except this UI is in the browser (nothing to download and install, works on any device) and is multi-user (think Google Docs). PlayCanvas is designed mainly for making 3D games but 2D games are possible too. And did I mention it's open source?

But if you're just interested in exclusively making 2D games then there are lots of options open to you (GameMaker, Construct2 and so on).

Thanks for the response!

Yeah, sorry for not spewing enough information. I would like like to create a isometric Diablo 2 style game. (Not the same art style, but you know, that click to move feeling).

I am well versed in nodejs and have a game server already up and working on my dev server with websockets. It's beautiful. (Chat, Send Message, Friends List, whispering members, joining games, loading monster data for each game, max players per game, etc, etc).

I have all the data ready HP, min, max dmg, items table, and everything really. Just need it to be outputted to a cool game design in html 5 if that makes sense.

I have the server working and players can join, leave games and it's all working on nodejs.. But it's only using 1 screenshot as the background, and the click to move is just basic javascript updating the characters image.. It's nothing special yet, that's why I'm trying to find something more interactive.

Playcanvas looks amazing, I'll give it a look.

Also, note to add. This is a one man project and I'm not looking for artists or whatnot. I'm just wanting something basic but very interactive and smooth for the user. For example, a fireball skill could literally be a sprite based sheet that's less than 20KB's for all I care. (Hell, on my dev game right now I'm using a circular bar with CSS Radius as the fireball animation lol).

I'm saying that because I know for a good artistic looking game I would need a team, and artists. But I don't care about that as much, I have a server-side rpg system already completed. For example: c482dd6a83c535bb62852965765b4b8c.png

I just need a engine to complete the end-users experience. I have everything else ready. This is just the database side, you should see my GameServer.js node file!  :o

Edit: To clarify, I'm a bit all over the place. But, I'm just trying to find a game engine where I can integrate it with websockets easily (scripting own language inside the core or whatever), and make changes whenever I need to. Not necessarily hot fixes, but update the game weekly, etc and easily.

Edit2: I might be getting ahead of myself, but yeah hope this helps!

• 1 month later...

Hi,
I recomend try openfl and haxe, for me using sprites for ui is better becouse I can controll everything). Also present haxeflixel framework which can optimize some things with ui, but i suggest make all manually and controll everything.