Surge in HTML5 interest on FGL

ch00se

Bottom line is FGL.com is mobile unfriendly, and that is unacceptable for the direction they claim they've been heading in last years. Chat is in Flash, there are problems with HTML5, even recently, I could not select a best bid from my iphone browser because the best bid info dialog was offset out of my window...

the best option would be like in the book industry : non refundable upfront as an advance on lifetime revenue share.

Its still not good. Most publisher who offers revenue share doesnt provide any worth while traffic. While Publishers which do provide good traffic never offers revenue share.

it is not good, it is the best ;) it's a win-win situation, if the game doesn't make it, the publisher lose the little upfront money, the dev earns a little cash, the risk is spread. the upfront is also an incentive to get only serious publishers interested in making the game live. if the game goes big, everybody wins. proven and tested in the book, boardgame, music, etc business.

Hi all.

Just want to update,

I`ve uploaded my game Bobo Jump few weeks ago, but yet to received any sponsor. Got total 11 views. Some of them even played the game for about more than 30 minutes. But when I browse to the sponsor website seems like they are mainly for flash games. So I guess I have to wait and see..

So has anyone actually sold anything yet?

To be fair, the Flash market isn't nearly what it used to be either. The Flash portal guys are still trying to figure out what to do, so I expect this will take a while to really kick in.

Also, when you're talking about people like Armor Games, Crazy Monkey, etc. they don't have the same audience as the Spil / Kimia mobile portals that we're used to. They aren't likely to buy little family friendly quickie mobile games. They want full professional product or else it brings down the value of their library. You can't put a basic match 3 or platformer in the same library Boxhead and Thing Thing Arena.

The HTML5 flood is inevitable, just be patient.

I don't want to knock FGL's attempts to move into HTML5 games as I'm sure they want to make it a success, but I certainly haven't seen a surge!  If anything - views have dropped off in recent months for me, I haven't even added my last couple of games because I'm not sure it's worth the bother.

There's a few issues as I see at the moment:

1. buyers can directly compare prices of the games (as it's a game shop!) and we can't (unless we have a buyer account).  There are probably games ranging from $100 - $1000 that are unlikely to accurately reflect quality levels because of the immature market - and we are unable to gauge the price for our games without seeing the competiton.  You could say the same situation exists when emailing sponsors directly - but at least they have an opportunity to negotiate a price.  When a game is in the game shop, a price appears as fixed.

2. I have absolutely no issues with FGL wanting a cut, it's their site and they can charge whatever comission they see fit - but the knock on effect is that I take that cost into account when uploading a game to FGL so the price is set higher.  I can see that some of that our regular sponsors visit FGL, I suspect that they see higher prices than they are currently paying and will just wait for us to get around to emailing them instead!

3. This is an ongoing issue that has been mentioned a few times - FGL really need to test and rate games based on their ability to run on mobile only (and get over their obsession with music!).  I bet there are a whole load of HTML5 games on FGL that would not be accepted on most of the main networks because of performance/resize/device specific issues or simply do not run on mobile at all.  In an ideal world there would be a bunch of FGL approved check boxes next to each game covering various common requirements for mobile web games (does it resize? does it hide address bar?  min spec performance etc.) - then they would be earning their 10%!

Content grab ≠ caring

I think I'm going to have to agree with that. FGL_Chris (ch00se) comes and announces to devs there is a surge in sponsor interest. Then in October sponsor newsletter he announces to sponsors there is a surge in html5 games from developers and urges sponsors to think about making a mobile-friendly portal. In reality though, not much has changed in how FGL handles HTML5 games and how many deals are made (if any).

Still, uploading to FGL doesn't take much effort, so I will do that 1-2 months after I've contacted a sponsor e-mail list for potential sitelock deals involving commission to FGL.

Hey Everyone,

I'm sorry to those of you who have not gotten a deal!  However, we HAVE had many sales.  In fact, I just answered a few emails from publishers who are finalizing deals on HTML5 games right now.  

Also, to the point of we are not doing anything to change, that's not true either.  We now have an html5 only portal where publishers can play html5 games in order to bid on them.  The only problem with it at this point is that we're still linking out to developer-hosted versions of the games and some of them are just not displaying properly... but the publishers have been very positive about this update, despite this (and, of course, we're continuing to work to improve that experience).

Also, I think I referred to having calls with some very interested html5 buyers... those have gone MUCH longer than I thought.  But the good news is that I think we're about to see some of the best deals ever seen in html5 about to happen because of this.  It's just a lot more work and time than I thought to make them come to fruition.

Nice to hear many people are getting sales. Can you ask them to chime in on this forum? So far it is your word only - and so far I know only one person that sold html5 game through fgl some time ago. If this is the hub for html5 devs I bet there are some of those sellers in here. Their posts would give you more credibility and it would attract more developers to FGL.

I'd like to chime in and confirm that I am close to making a sale via FGL.

This is relatively large scale non-exclusive re-skin with relatively complicated API, and fair payment for these items on top of my regular license fee. 

I am sorry that I cannot at this stage reveal more information, but:

1. If you have quality games, it is absolutely good idea to upload them to FGL. One deal like that can easily pay off for 15 mins of upload time.

2. For the games uploaded to FGL, make sure that they work great both on desktop and on mobile from URL you provide, resize to full screen normally on mobile. Do not assume that sponsors cannot really appreciate the game, because it is cramped in iframe. For lucrative customers FGL game agents even send direct urls for now, that's how they picked my game. 

+1 sold HTML5-game via fgl

first time ever HTML5-game deal for buyer and first time HTML5 deal for me:)

FYI - found common issue on many posted HTML5 games on fgl - embed via http link

Got suggestion from fgl's team to host game on ssl-enabled hosting, so game will not block on desktop browsers and will play immediately after "Start Game" click

@hilty:

How much time did each sponsor spend on your game in average. Just asking because your games seems to have that SSL-blocking problem.

@rrelaxx:

Thanks for the feedback. Any chance you could share the game you make the deal with?

So,

Cellow:

5 sponsors more than 1 minute. 2 of them more than 2 minutes.
2 sponsors 0 seconds.

Bouncy:

7 sponsors more than 1 minute. 7 of them more than 2 minutes, 1 more than 5 and 1 more than 12 minutes.
6 sponsors 0 seconds.

You think that the ssl problem is the cause of no sales?