OkijinGames

Hi,

Here is an introduction to my latest HTML5 game project.

Sticky Goo is an endless vertical "runner" where the player controls a bouncy goo with the ability to stick on walls.

post-5497-0-37243200-1433308304.png

Link to current demo:

Sticky Goo (updated)

Highscore gameplay video:

https://youtu.be/qlTcGA_qKCk

Feedback is welcomed!

post-5497-0-37243200-1433308304.png

Always enjoy your games - so well polished!

I think it's got the right blend of intuitiveness, fun and frustration once you have mastered the controls

I'm not sure if you are going for a 'flappy bird' level of challenge or something more casual - if the latter then I would say it's probably too difficult at the moment

It really did take me quite a while (maybe 5 - 10 attempts) to even get to grips with the tap v hold timing to avoid the spikes, then once spiders started appearing I struggled a lot and some situations felt impossible to pass (maybe some larger spacing between them would be better earlier on?)

94m was my best result after many attempts and while I enjoyed it, as a casual player I might not choose to come back as it felt like I had mastered the controls well enough to play - but still could not get much further than the first 2 or three dangling spiders.

I guess you are aiming this solely at mobile but left/right arrow key controls would be a nice alternative control for desktop

Super slick, like all of your products. Has a truly "native" feel to it.. which brings me to agreeing with menutat, I would personally consider it "too difficult" for the typical portal customers, it feels like the level of difficulty was set with regular gamers in mind. 

I started playing yesterday on my old iPod and despite about 15 minutes session I couldn't pass through this section where you have to make 4 bouncess off plants in a row. So my score got stuck on 88 m. Then I switched to desktop and it turned out that it's much easier to make it using mouse (it's easier to click fast that to tap fast). It helped me a lot to learn the right rhythm and as a result when I got back to iPod I was able to pass through this section. This part where you have to fly between 2 spiders and 1 spider was also difficult but I managed to learn how to do this and I finished my first 1 hour session with score of about 180 m as I remember well.

Today I've played on desktop, iPod, iPad and my best score is 647 m. I have to admit that I probably got addicted to this game because I've spent about 2,5 h (taking into account yesterday's session) playing this so far and it seems that it's not the end, it's the beginning :D I love this feeling of goo's rapid acceleration (especially when he falls slowly and then... boom! :D ). If you would like to develop it in this hordcore version you could add more different situations (e.g. when you would have to make fast tapping in right, left, right, left sequence) and then I can imagine when hardcore players would record they play sessions, publish it on youtube and others would get excited how someone makes some incredible evolutions :D

When I was playing it on desktop and was listening to I Am Giant's "The Horrifying Truth" album I had really great experience. Thanks for this game :)

The only thing I would like to change as a gamer is the sound of bouncing off plants (maybe it's too loud or too long or both).

Sticky Goo is an endless vertical "runner" where the player controls a bouncy goo with the ability to stick on walls.

You wrote "endless", so there's no possibility that I really could help the goo to save his love? If it is so this would be the real horrifying truth  :(

Thanks everyone your feedback is most helpful!

I have uploaded an update with the following changes:

- The game difficulty is still set quite high but is now progressive (based on current height) rather than just random.

- The goo will bounce slightly higher (TAP) but the power jump (HOLD) was decreased by about 20% (I felt this was needed to keep the landing spot on screen and help the player anticipate the next move).

- The sound effects have been improved a bit.

- Still not possible for the goo to save his love :)

Also I just posted a highscore gameplay video on youtube with the update.

https://youtu.be/qlTcGA_qKCk

TODO :

- Moving enemies (probably bats).

- Multi touch to prevent blocking on tap/hold.

- More and more tweaking and testing to get the right difficulty balance.

- Key controls are indeed a good idea and I will probably implement that as well.

Thanks again :)

I think that the updated version is even more difficult than the previous one. Initially I couldn't pass this section when you have to bounce off the plant and then almost immediately tap on the other side – in other way you'll come across the spider. This section with 3 rock blocks in a row was also quite problematic (I see that bouncing off rocks you achieve such result as you were bouncing off plants – I make it in this way like they usually make it with rock – just stick to it for a moment and probably that's the reason why it was quite tricky at the first attempts) at the beginning so as a result within the first a dozen or so minutes with the new version my best score was much worse than in the old version. Then I got proper skill to pass this but despite this fact I couldn't cross 500 m.

And then at some attempt something incredible happened. I suspect that I managed to reach some kind of end of endless game :D  (even if it's just demo) because it seems that starting from about 900 m there's just looped simple sequence of objects. And I ended up on 1216 m.

When my brother played it for the first time he said „Great game!” and was really excited. But quite quickly he got discouraged and stop playing without any better score than 100 m.

For me the plant sound is better now.

Thanks for the feedback!

I have uploaded the latest version (the one that will be released on Windows Phone).

• - Player can now collect coins by bouncing on the plants. Coins are used to unlock Outfits for the goo.
  • - Difficulty was decreased by pacing with filler sections between more difficult one so you should see higher highscores and gameplay may be more "relax" sometimes.
  • - Moving enemies (bats) will start appearing around 600m.
  • - Few UI improvements.

And then at some attempt something incredible happened. I suspect that I managed to reach some kind of end of endless game :D  (even if it's just demo) because it seems that starting from about 900 m there's just looped simple sequence of objects. And I ended up on 1216 m.

Indeed the demo stopped randomizing sections above 800m... thought it would not be reached yet :) The new version is truly endless and becomes hectic above 1250m.

I think this looks really nice and the animations and interactivity are great - but playing with a trackpad on a laptop is almost impossible. I can see that it would be nice to play on a smartphone though.

Keyboard support will be added :)

Thanks again for feedback!

I really like it! keep up the good stuff!
I'm excited that there are more & more polished html5 games around lately...

I noticed that the android app really burns down my battery, even after playing a short time your app is listed high in the android system app for battery power management.
I wonder if that's the case with every ludei wrapped app?

Thanks very much for the feedback! :)

I noticed that the android app really burns down my battery, even after playing a short time your app is listed high in the android system app for battery power management.
I wonder if that's the case with every ludei wrapped app?

I realised that I didn't uncheck the WebGL option when compiling the Android version so it could have something to do with this - if that is the case it will be fixed in next update :)