Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Every byte counts, and although Babel produces really clean code, when it comes to crunch time, hand-coding the ES5 might the only way to shave off those 100 bytes that are pushing you over your limit. 

Another quick update, almost finished adding judges/prizes.

New judge:
- Austin Hallock

New prizes:
- 5 × NodeBB hosting
- 1 × Blossom.io Enterprise account for 12 months
- 45 × Gunslugs, Gunslugs 2 and Heroes of Loot games
- 10 × Elliot Quest game

• 2 weeks later...

Next update, this time with the prizes alone:

- 3 × Pusher $300 credit
- 3 × Build an HTML5 Game printed book
- JSBin Pro accounts, t-shirts and stickers
- 25 × A Wizard's Lizard game
- 10 × The Curious Expedition game

My input on the mobile side of things is to keep them as separate categories. I'll play the games on one of our lower end devices, and once I narrow it down to a few, I'll test them on all of our devices.

Looking forward to seeing the entries!

My input on the mobile side of things is to keep them as separate categories. I'll play the games on one of our lower end devices, and once I narrow it down to a few, I'll test them on all of our devices.

Samsung S3 mini with stock browser I suppose?  :)

Quite excited about this, I hope I will have time to participate!

Good luck! 

Still trying to come up with a good idea, though, hmmm...

Theme will be announced on August 13th - I hope it will help find a good idea for the game.

Another question: I can see that it could be possible to make a game that fits in all categories, but I am

guessing that the game has to compete in a specific category, or?

You can submit the game to any of the categories, or to all, but only if it works properly on the chosen ones (especially the mobile).

Just out of curoisity, are custom file types allowed (you know, text, level layouts, graphics, etc in a custom .bin file)? I didn't notice any rules specifically against it, but I did notice that part of the rule about not using self extracting .pngs (which to be fair, I didn't even know were a thing until just now...) said "Only pure JavaScript minifying is allowed." ...so, are we only allowed to use Javascript to make our graphic files, only allowed to use widely used formats like .txt or .png, or is it perfectly acceptable to use a custom format for these things?

Just out of curoisity, are custom file types allowed (you know, text, level layouts, graphics, etc in a custom .bin file)? I didn't notice any rules specifically against it, but I did notice that part of the rule about not using self extracting .pngs (which to be fair, I didn't even know were a thing until just now...) said "Only pure JavaScript minifying is allowed." ...so, are we only allowed to use Javascript to make our graphic files, only allowed to use widely used formats like .txt or .png, or is it perfectly acceptable to use a custom format for these things?

I think you are free to use binary formats - since you can always embed them as base64 strings into your js files and read as TypedArray later.

The reason why self-extracting pngs are not allowed - I believe it's because they are primarily used as compression mechanism for js files, but this competition already measures entry sizes in zipped state, so you don't need to compress them by pngfying.

Hi end3r,

nice to see that there's another js13k this year. 

I was wondering if things like crossdevice support or following the theme will have an higher impact on the rating this year.

I'm mainly interested to know if we are allowed to use ES6 even tho it is not widely supported yet.

If it's "It has to run on at least 1 machine/browser" then ES6 would be perfectly fine but if the toll for not supporting other devices is too high, then it might be better not to use it.

Cheers

I was wondering if things like crossdevice support or following the theme will have an higher impact on the rating this year.

It's a tricky question. I'll try to have following the theme higher on the list of prorities, but I give judges some freedom in what they put focus on as I don't want to have the rules for judging too strict. That's why there are developers, designers or business people on the list and every point of view is welcomed.

If by "crossdevice" you mean the Mobile category then yes, I know there's a problem of Mobile category being *just* the checkbox in the submit form and not a totally separate category in terms of the points and ranking. That's how the current backend for voting is constructed - I wasn't able to change it this time, but I wish to do that in the future.

If it's "It has to run on at least 1 machine/browser" then ES6 would be perfectly fine but if the toll for not supporting other devices is too high, then it might be better not to use it.

If it works in Firefox and Chrome without any flags in the config, then go ahead and use it. I like the new features and hope to have them implemented soon. Judges have their preferences in terms of using the browsers to test the games, but I can't put less emphasis on checking the games in both browsers. I don't want to end up with entries targeting only one browser and participants have to live with the limitations of that. If it works in Firefox/Chrome out-of-the-box, then you're free to do whatever you want.

Maybe using ES6 to ES5 compiler would be a solution? You could have ES6 code in a readable form and then compile it to ES5, minify and compress it. I don't know how it would affect the size of the code though.

I'm always open for suggestions and discussions on everything related to the competition. After all it's for you, not me.