Do I need to buy HTML5 GM:S export feature before making a game?

agulenin

Hi guys, I'm eager to make HTML5 games, I chose Game Maker Studio for it, but it's going to be an investment.

Do you think that is better for me to buy the HMTL5 exporter before making my game or it will be better to buy it only when I have a solid interesting game?

Does it make a difference having it (html5 exporter), during the development?

Thanks.

The compiler for HTML5 is a great asset during the entire game making process. If you aren't using it, then I assume you will be testing your games with the Windows compiler. The problem is that HTML5 is very limited in what it can accomplish when compared to other platforms like Windows. You'll want to be testing each large change to your game as you develop. Also, if you are releasing your game with a mobile HTML5 approach in mind, then you will definitely want to be testing your game every step of the way.

Here's my suggestion, don't buy the HTML5 compiler until you feel you have some good mechanics for a game. Then buy the compiler when you are confident. This is assuming that you are new to game making.

This advice might differ if you are looking to monetize/sell your game. HTML5 for desktop web has to compete with Flash, and therefore has a tough time making money. If you are looking to make some money, I have heard that concentrating on releasing your game using HTML5 is best when focusing on mobile web.

Buy it once you know how to use GMS properly and feel confident in your abilities. But, do not make a great game and then expect to port it to HTML5...it's not that easy unfortunately. If you make a HTML5 game using GMS, be sure to make it from scratch and test frequently during development.

The key phrase here is "from scratch".  Beware that pretty much anything you end up doing in non-HTML5, you will end up having to redo in HTML5.

• 3 weeks later...

If you're brand new to game making, I would recommend playing around with the free version of game maker until you're sure you have the skills needed to make a quality game. I've seen a few people get too excited to make games, invest a significant chunk of money on game maker, and then realize that game programming just isn't their thing.