I am migrating from Flash to HTML5

RogellParadox

Well, well, well, hello everyone.

I came here because today I decided to start learning something about HTML5. I'm familiar with HTML, although I used to pass more time with Dreamweaver. Flash was everything to me, and still is, but looks like people are hating it so much that soon it will be burried deep. So, I think I should start doing something important not to get outcast. So, I mean, what's necessary at all to do HTML5? Learning Javascript? What more? There are any programs that can help one develop anything? I heard about Construct 2 or something like that.... I'm focused more on games, but of course I'd want to learn more.

Well, one more question: is it possible to do a decent animation with HTML5? I mean, fame-per-frame like flash games (and awesome like Warner Bros games, such as Scooby-Doo and Steppenwolf: The X-Creatures project). I hope it's possible to do something like that with HTML5.

Well, thanks for enduring my long text.

Have you considered using OpenFL or Flambe to export your Flash games as HTML5?

You might want to look into that first, because then you won't have to throw away your hard earned Flash skills and start over.

If you're well experienced with Flash you won't find any benefit to hand-coded HTML5 or any of the HTML5 game engines, like Construct2 or Phaser.

Thanks to Haxe/OpenFL, Flash is going to be a good platform to develop games well into the future.

Have you considered using OpenFL or Flambe to export your Flash games as HTML5?

You might want to look into that first, because then you won't have to throw away your hard earned Flash skills and start over.

If you're well experienced with Flash you won't find any benefit to hand-coded HTML5 or any of the HTML5 game engines, like Construct2 or Phaser.

Thanks to Haxe/OpenFL, Flash is going to be a good platform to develop games well into the future.

Thanks, I know I can do that. But I'd like to explore HTML5 rather than doing it. Of course I won't throw away what I know.

Hey,

IMO Phaser is a good start, make sure you have the basic boilerplate in order to see your first game/animation working and the rest is just learnt how to use Paser features and deal with minor language particularities.

Give a good look on phaser examples, get the idea of how to organize your code by reading phaser getting started tutorial, and the rest will come with time and pratice.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, this might give you a basic idea about HTML5.

HTML5 is the latest revision in the markup language of the internet for the World Wide Web, mainly used to present contents and structures. It also aims in improving the language understanding by humans and also by computers and devices, to be supportive for the latest multimedia needs. Being a mixture of HTML and XHTML, it is also used in markup and application programming interfaces for complex web applications.

Hope it is of any small use to you.

I would first learn JavaScript, especially functional programming because that seems like the future right now. JavaScript seems easy at first, but when you get into it, it is much more. I would forget game development on the Web, except for the smallest games. It is just two much of a hassle when it comes to compatibility, especially with sound (and sound is like important in a game).

Stick to learning the canvas inside and out (there are many books on the subject). If you need specific book recommendations, please PM me.

Good luck.