Chrome 30 performance drop

rich

Anyone else noticing this, or is it just my PC? But since Chrome auto-updated to version 30  (30.0.1599.66 m to be exact) canvas AND WebGL performance has been horrible. I'm getting noticeable redraw lag in things that used to run super smooth. Happens with pretty much anything I try, so it's not confined to a single codebase but appears to be more of a GPU level change.

Naturally enough my PC/GPU is working fine in all other regards including high-end games.

Edit: Here's the fix: Go into Chrome flags and set "GPU compositing on all pages" to Disabled.

Details here: http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/stable-channel-update.html

I'm experiencing LOTS of other problems with it though. Tabs will randomly freeze, the History is taking minutes to load (causing a "Oh snap!" error in the process), when you search from the address bar 9 times out of 10 the page will never load and it will loop forever. Icons on my Bookmarks bar often don't load the page either. If I've got Dev Tools open very often non-visible browser tabs will hang too.

It's about as close to being unusable as iOS7.

No easy way to revert version either, so going to have to swap to Firefox until they sort this mess out :(

I can confirm Chrome 30 also affects Construct 2 games. Our performance test (http://www.scirra.com/demos/c2/sbperftest/) now scores about 30 (avg. FPS) instead of 60 in Chrome, whereas Firefox and IE score 60. I tested Chrome Canary (version 32) however and it seemed fine - back to 60 FPS. So I guess they've already fixed this - just need to wait out an awkward 6-12 weeks of games running at 30 FPS :( Hopefully we can persuade them to patch the live stable version, but I think they're wary of doing that unless it's an important security fix.

I don't think it's really a showstopper bug though. It's a shame and looks a little ugly, but at least most Construct 2 games are framerate independent, so will play out more or less just the same but not quite so smoothly. And we know a fix is on the horizon, which is quite a relief compared to, say, not really knowing when iOS 7 issues will be fixed.

I don't think it's really a showstopper bug though. It's a shame and looks a little ugly, but at least most Construct 2 games are framerate independent, so will play out more or less just the same but not quite so smoothly. And we know a fix is on the horizon, which is quite a relief compared to, say, not really knowing when iOS 7 issues will be fixed.

It's not a showstopper in itself, but all the other problems I'm having with v30 certainly are. Learning to love Firefox again :)