Forum suggestion as-well as a question about the boards.

BTOnline

Forum Suggestion:

I believe it would be beneficial to the community to have a generalized board for talking about projects / development. Currently there is the "Game Showcase" board however, the name implies that you have something to show off, instead of it being more of a place to post a development log and get feedback from users of the forum. The rules of said section require a link to the game as-well as screenshots of the game which rules out any early-production posts. Personally this is a large turn-off for me, as I would love a place to keep track of my progress as-well as share/get feedback from other developers. 

Creating a board for users that have nowhere else to post is essential I believe. Currently the forum is basically set up to say, if you do not use one of the frameworks listed below, you're not welcome here. (At-least this is the impression I got upon registration). 

• Phaser
  • Pixi
  • Babylon 
  • Panda
  • Kiwi
  • Haxe

Ramble: [sTART] ​I was also very surprised not to see Three.js on this list, as it performs exceptionally well and has a massive amount of tutorials. Perhaps because it's not a "Game Engine" and just a rendering one? Don't know. [/END]

Forum Question:

Perhaps I was completley wrong with my suggestion and the place aforementioned already exists, and I'm just blind. So I would like to know which board (if it exists) is the correct place to keep early-development logs for our game, granted it does not use one of the frameworks listed above. 

There is no three.js board because they haven't asked us to create one. All of the framework boards here are moderated by their owners.

For talking about a game concept then the Game Design board. For showing WIPs then use Game Showcase, which clearly says it is open to WIPs. You only need a screen shot if you want the game promoted.

For showing WIPs then use Game Showcase, which clearly says it is open to WIPs. You only need a screen shot if you want the game promoted.

I just wanted to touch on this a bit to show why I was confused. In the post Guidelines for posting in this board by Chris it states this fairly clearly:

You should include the following information in your post:

• One (or more) screenshot/s (at best about 800x600 px - remember that very big big pictures may take a long time to load)
  • A short description of your game
  • The link to the game (obvious, huh?)
  • Maybe a link to the games website with more details, or a blog

This, to myself, states that a screen-shot, and a link to the game is required. Considering the title of the post. Thank you however for pointing out that these guidelines aren't necessarily written and stone and the proper place to keep progress would be in the showcase. (Still seems a bit off, and I still believe a Projects board would be more apparent / get more project related activity.)

There is no three.js board because they haven't asked us to create one. All of the framework boards here are moderated by their owners.

This is also some nice information, we're working on our own engine that uses ThreeJS which will probably be molded to be similar to PlayCanvas however will be aimed more at larger games. Currently we support local data storage for game-assets and a in-browser patcher for games that is by default. All of our assets are checked against the client using CRC32 checksum then updated over websockets. 

When we're ready to go public with this, and if we want our own board, would we just have to send you a private message? (Probably won't be for a few months anyhow)