html5 RTS to be : 13 tanks

tsatse

hello !

we're a team of two with @Armen138. He does most of the coding and I take care of the visuals and we've been working on a RTS for a little while.

it was cute, with a top-down view and we were happy.

but we've suddenly decided that we should aim at something bigger than us, like say the greatest RTS ever or something (yes with our shoestring budget :D )

So I'm working on concept art and I thought I'd drop some of it in here. So here is one !

BV7Sr5tCYAIDER8.jpg

Why did you chose HTML5 for the game of this scope? Maybe native Android/IOS would be more suitable (much more performance, higher resolution, reliable audio)?

Perhaps because of current limitations HTML5 can't handle large-scale games - you'll especially have problems with rendering if you want anything fancy.

I have to disagree with the above comment. There's no reason why you couldn't do that in html5. It's a bit tricky, for sure, but definitely possible.

As for the game itself... giant crabs are awesome, and your concept art looks good. I haven't understood much of the game concept though, tell us more... is it tanks vs crabs? Is it still top-down, isometric, or proper 3D with webGL?

I agree with Damir, a complex html5 game on mobile is going to be very difficult.

My game is pretty large, and I know it will not run at all if played in a mobile browser. I had to package it up with ejecta to take advantage of opengl rendering.

Even then, there are issues with memory usage, so I had to use compressed pvr textures which cannot be loaded through a browser either.

Basically, all the most productive tricks involve moving parts of the game to native.

Now it's a packaged app in the app store, but now it also needs to be further optimized to support older ios devices. You can't limit your app to just certain devices, and if your game doesn't run on older devices, you'll get bad app store ratings.

Not that I am trying to discourage anybody! Your game sounds pretty cool and I'd love to see more of it!