My talk about Html5 games during Respawn, Cologne

blackmoondev

During the recent Respawn game developer conference in Cologne I gave a talk about our Html5 games - how we create and monetize them. If you would be interested in the talk - there's a recording of it here - https://voicerepublic.com/talks/how-much-fun-money-is-there-in-rapid-html5-game-development

(also - you can check the games at http://m.blackmoondev.com :)

Thanks a lot for posting, made for some interesting listening. I have a couple of questions if that's okay? Do you still use Construct now for the weekly games? Also, how much professional training vs self-taught do you think you and the individual members of the team you work with (artists included!) have had over the years? Did anyone take it from just a hobby to the point they are at now or has it always been people coming from a professional education in code or art? I'm not interested in making money out of HTML5 games myself, just the process of learning how to make them and the graphics that go with them. Thanks again.

Definitely one of the few best posts about html5 games monetization, ever!

a few more questions if you may :

- about the subscription model, what is the average price per game per month compared to the average flat price, and is it worthy compared to a rev. share

- do you charge an additional fee for adding the nightmarish sdk/api ;)

- i am surprised that with such a voluminous catalog of games you don't score better with the appstores compared to your website

- is that a waterfall sound in the background?

I enjoyed your presentation, and have referred a few students and indie beginners to it.  I liked it because the numbers correlated with my own (smaller volume) discoveries, and the lean strategies your team has adopted are a wise approach in the face of the market challenges.  Summary: build a game in a week, reuse graphical elements from previous games, use a game development toolkit, sell ~6 licenses at ~550 USD, don't worry about the flops.  Well done on achieving your goals and thank you for sharing the case study.

My question would be - now that you have a formula that works, will you change things up or stick with it until it breaks?

Hey guys - here are some answers for your questions:

Subscription model - it's $20-$80 per game per month, depending on the publisher. Rev share for us is either $100+ per month or zero (in most cases it's around $0-$1 per month). 

Adding API is usually calculated into the license fee.

Low number of people downloading the games on the appstores - well it doesn't surprise me that much. People that play our games in the browser won't go to download them (why should they? They are already playing those), and gathering visability for you game on the appstore is pure luck. (plus - even if you have a free game - you compete for a player with giants like King, Clash of Clans and all other "free" games). 

The Respawn happened in a huge hall - I guess it's a echo sound of the crowd (everybody had headphones to listen to the talks, it was quite noisy in the hall)

We're sticking with the formula as long as it's going to be fun&profitable - but we run several projects aimed to explore new market and possibilities (both html5 as well as other technologies). 

• 2 weeks later...

How to see the slides on the link you have posted above ? All I can do is listen to the audio :( I even signed up on the website hoping that then I will be able to see the slides :P

Anyways, awesome talk! Thanks :)

I really want to see the slide of the time when you talk about your revenue charts in your talk :D