Learning Babylon.js - The ebook!

Temechon

Well, for starters: Your part dealing with quaternions was VERY much a live example of the how-to-draw-an-owl kind of explanation.

Would wish there had been a complete chapter with examples how to use quaternions and rotation matrixes as well as matrixes (world and local ones) in general.
More Maths / WebGL knowledges, less programming lessons like classes and stuff.

I didn't try to teach quaternion, as it's a complex mathematical structure, and it was not the purpose of this book. Babylon is useful to encapsulate all of this (as it does for WebGl context), and to me it was not really important to know how quaternion worked.

In my opinion, it's not Babylon knowledge, it's mathematical knowledge :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I started your book last week to prepare a game for an hackaton. I bought the completed version.

I worked with three.js before ,following a lot of book to develop webgl app, and I found your approach great!

Mainly Usefull for newbies of babylon like me!

I started very quickly to developing and creating enviroment. 

I want to reccomend this book to anybody would to start with babylon.js and webgl. 

after the hackaton I'll share my code on github. You can use like you want ;)

Thanks a lot ;)

•  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello guys ! 

Learning Babylon.js has been updated for Babylon.js v2.5 (the book and all source code). And it's now available on Amazon ! And there is a print version !

Kindle version: https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Babylon-js-basics-framework-creating-ebook/dp/B06XCMSZHK/ref=sr_1_2
Print version: https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Babylon-js-basics-framework-creating/dp/1520730446/ref=sr_1_3

As I wanted to create the most beautiful book possible, all 200 pages are in full color (that explains the higher price, which include all print costs)... but I think it's worth it!

Of course, it's always available on my website: http://learningbabylonjs.com/ 
To match Amazon prices, the official price is now 10$ for the book version, and 20$ for the book and all source code.

Finally, an email will be sent to everyone who purchased the book with the new updated version for free.

Feel free to spread the word :)

Thank you very very much !

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Temechon!

Just wanted to let you know that I've noticed a small typo on page 116.

To convert to convert world coordinates to local coordinates, we need the world matrix of the local system (our player). 

I thought it might be good for you to know this in case you'll be doing any future updates to this awesome book ;-)

• 1 month later...

Best effort attempt at filling in the gaps. Needs a good deal of editing, the language used to describe things gets unnecessarily confusing.

e.g.

However, this name is not mandatory, and you can set it to an empty string if you don’t use it. Similarly, you can have several objects with the same name: that’s why all these methods will return the last object added to the scene.

better worded as..

However, a name is not mandatory, and you can set it to an empty string if you don’t use it. You could also have several objects with the same name and the methods would return the last object added to the scene.

Also, theres no answer to excercise one to check my code against.

Hello Spankied, 

Sorry for these small mistakes, as my english is not my native language. That's why I paid an english-native speaker to review my document, but it's very possible that some things are not described correctly :) 

Regarding your exercices, if your code is working as intended, then it's correct. If you want to have a critical code review, feel free to send me your code sample, I'll be happy to help you.

• 1 month later...

I just finished reading Chapter 5. Execuse my indolence, but is there some link I can use to download the resource, such as block texture and skybox images?

BTW, it is really a nice and helpful book, especially for a beginner like me.

• 9 months later...