HTML5 replica of Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion

lightest

Hey everyone!

At march 7th 2015 I decided to write a 2d shooter. Because I didn't know what kind of stuff I can actually accomplish I thought may be I can re-create existing game to see if it would be possible to bring some classic feature set to life.

When I was a kid the first ever game I played was Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion by id software. With that in mind I put myself to work. Here is the result:

https://agafnik.com/testchambers/webdave/

Since this was more like self-challenge project the game has only one level. No engines or frameworks used, pure JS.

Enjoy the game. All sorts of feedback highly welcomed!

GIFS:

Shoot zombies

kZLsVE0.gif

Get killed by a thrown knife

Gq6QH1i.gif

Loot

lr32Pja.gif

very impressive work - very hard to spot any difference from original.

did you make any kind of visual editor to lay out the level or did you hard-code the position of everything?

Thanks! I really spent a lot of time adjusting stuff like height of jump, falling speed, animations speed, timeouts of monsters atacks etc. And yes I did a very simple map editor. Basically a tool for drawing rectangles on top of the level image with additional set of objects like teleports and monsters. It also used local storage to save the progress.