Babylon.js October Challenge - We'll build a maze!

RaananW

Hello dear community,

The first Babylon.js challenge is over. The poll is still open. Every vote count, support the democracy! http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/17554-babylonjs-monthly-challenge-results/

Inspired by Oglaf's greatest strip, http://oglaf.com/labyrinth/, I present you the next challenge - We are going to build mazes. For cheese, for regards, for monsters, and mainly for the sake of fun.

A nice example was already given be @davrous - he used a QR code to build a labyrinth - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/davrous/archive/2014/02/19/coding4fun-tutorial-creating-a-3d-webgl-procedural-qrcode-maze-with-babylon-js.aspx

The only rules are:

• It has to be original.
  • We have to be able to walk through it (Not necessarily camera!)
  • It should be solvable. Or at least it should have a goal or final destination.
  • Size doesn't matter at all!

Please PM me your results once you are done. If you have any questions, this thread is exactly the place.

Let the games begin, and may the odds be ever in your favor.

Oh, and just the same as the last one - prizes to be won include respect, honor, a github contribution with your name in it, and beer. If you are in Berlin. Especially during Octoberfest.

Can it be 3D... having multiple floors with ladders, stairs, escalators, elevators, slides, ramps, and teleport pads?  :o

I'm just having fun, here.  Don't build mazes like that... you'll give players brain tumors.  :D

(That's how they build the administrative offices at U.S. Department of Motor Vehicles facilites, and that's why everyone is angry in those places.)

The "Hunt-and-Kill algorithm" should be chosen by everyone, just because of its name of course :-)

Such an awesome website. I can contribute this one - http://www.astrolog.org/labyrnth.htm (especially this page http://www.astrolog.org/labyrnth/algrithm.htm) , but it doesn't have those nice  examples all over.

Party on!

Well, as I have said elsewhere, I'm ambivalent about contests - but with mazes as the subject , I thought I would give it a try. Mind you, RaananW had an issue with my logic maze - so .... :unsure:

Anyway, as the first major piece of VRML I created 12-13 years ago had a maze as part 1 of the 3 parts - I thought I might revisit the "Mines Of Tindalos" (ironically a VRML piece that I created for a contest :o which had software prizes - it came 2nd)

openmines1.jpg

So here is my initial attempt at creating a basic maze with BJS.

Tindalos Maze (first attempt)     No longer available as Dropbox changed their usage criteria :angry:

See below for github links

It is created on a square grid (15x15 cells) and uses the recursive back tracking method. Each cell can have 4 walls many of which are removed. The walls added to each cell are instances of two meshes imported from Blender. Currently it only creates square grids - not a limitation of the maze creation script but rather the positioning of the 3d walls.

It is a starting point for further development. The maze produced is random so refresh the page for a new maze.

EDIT: The plan is to start at top left and end at bottom right cell but that is not fixed in stone.

cheers, gryff :)

NB: The name "Tindalos" comes from a short story, written by Frank Belknap Long,  "The Hounds Of Tindalos" that is part of the "Cthulhu Mythos".

Well, as I have said elsewhere, I'm ambivalent about contests - but with mazes as the subject , I thought I would give it a try. Mind you, RaananW had an issue with my logic maze - so .... :unsure:

Not an issue. I broke it with my clumsy fingers! Oh, and this is not a competition. It's all for fun. (And honor. And 10,000 $ in unmarked notes. )

It is a starting point for further development. The maze produced is random so refresh the page for a new maze.

Can't wait :-) (I do hope you will continue the development)

Hey guys,

Gryff, your maze look pretty cool!

I just finish my first level of the maze with depth-first-search algorithm.

The topic of this monthly challenge is better than the last (imho), because we can let our creativity speak, and we can cover much more of the Babylon functionnalities =)

The topic of this monthly challenge is better than the last (imho), because we can let our creativity speak, and we can cover much more of the Babylon functionnality =)

Understood. I will come out with something nice for November as well :-) I just thought Game Of Life won't take too much of your time.

Well Oct 11th and this challenge is heading for the bottom of page 2 - so here  is an update on my maze creation (and of course bring it back to page 1 :D ).

Tindalos Maze 2  No longer available due to changes in Dropbox usage criteria. :angry:  See below for new github links.:)

This is one you can play - a 9x9 maze (81 cells), so not too difficult. You have to find a wooden door which is the current temporary end.

But it brings up a rather simple question. The walls you see have top and bottom faces, which are unseen and I can easily delete. But deleting those faces does not reduce the number of verts, so does reducing the number of faces to be drawn improve performance as I read/hear so much about vertices as important as regards perfomance.?

Here is a  video of traversing a  maze from one of my favourite video games - "The 7th Guest" which has always been a bit of an inspiration for me. One curious thing about it though - is the bump/normal mapping reversed on one wall,  and does it keep switching around? :o

7th Guest Maze

Looking forward to seeing other peoples examples using different maze creation algorithms  :)

cheers, gryff :)