Particle Storm is out!

rich

post-1-0-23380400-1444236675_thumb.jpg

We're very pleased to announce that the brand new Particle Storm plugin is now available.

It's a well known fact that you can never have too many particles in your games :) and Particle Storm makes adding them a breeze. When designing the plugin we went for flexibility first and foremost. It was essential that you could get up and running in a few lines of code, but still have all the power you needed at your finger-tips. And Particle Storm is the end result!

I uploaded 36 examples to the Phaser site and you can read the full article too.

Patron backers you should already have your free copy / discount code (depending on patron level)

Any questions, feel free to ask here or on the slack channel :)

Congratulations on the launch of the plugin! 

Once I finish up reading interphase I will purchase a copy of this as well. 

Do you have a roadmap for the particle plugin? And would future releases be included in the price? 

Do you have any benchmarks for performance? (usually this where a particle system becomes make or break). 

There isn't a roadmap because it's feature complete. We will of course fix any bugs if people find them, and those updates will be free. If we do add new features then those will be free too, but there aren't any planned (quite frankly, it has enough already!)

There are no performance benchmarks because they're mostly useless (as they are utterly both device specific AND wholly influenced by how you've constructed your game and its assets too). There are no special rendering tricks in Particle Storm, it's still just using Pixi in the same way as Phaser does. You can use a Sprite Batch or Render Texture to improve things a lot and that is included. More importantly the way the particles are pooled and managed is entirely new, bypassing any physics system already in Phaser. We went for a system that was extremely flexible over one that was designed purely for pumping out masses of the same shape - if you're in that territory you ought to be exploring shaders really.

Hey Rich, I didn't mean to suggest it wasn't feature complete. I think I was thinking more of the plugin ecosystem you seem to be building up - albeit I didn't word it in that way whatsoever. 

Regardless, congratulations on the release! Looks great  :)

Ah ok - in that case we have two more plugins coming. One is a Path Manager, which will come with a visual editor to allow you to draw complex motion paths for game objects. It will also work completely with Particle Storm. And we've also got a Grid Plugin, which sounds utterly dull, but I assure you is really quite neat! It handles all the grid sorting / matching / creation mechanics needed for a whole slew of game types (from Tetris to Bejeweled to Candy Crush). Also Interphase 2 and 3 too (2 will be out this year, 3 early 2016).

• 3 weeks later...

Love the performance of the new particle engine on mobile, I can't wait to really see everything that this can do. Thank you!

What is the proper way to change states while using an emitter?

I noticed I was getting errors when trying to restart states while the emitter was running. I found that manually setting the enabled property of emitter to false fixed the errors. Do I need to destroy the emitter as well, or do anything else to clean up when I change states? Thanks! 

this.emitter.enabled = false;

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'cache' of nullPhaser.Component.LoadTexture.loadTexture @ phaser.js:35779Phaser.ParticleStorm.Renderer.Sprite.add @ particle-storm.min.js:3Phaser.ParticleStorm.Particle.create @ particle-storm.min.js:2Phaser.ParticleStorm.Particle.reset @ particle-storm.min.js:2Phaser.ParticleStorm.Emitter.emitParticle @ particle-storm.min.js:2Phaser.ParticleStorm.Particle.emitChild @ particle-storm.min.js:2Phaser.ParticleStorm.Particle.step @ particle-storm.min.js:2Phaser.ParticleStorm.Emitter.update @ particle-storm.min.js:2Phaser.ParticleStorm.update @ particle-storm.min.js:2Phaser.PluginManager.update @ phaser.js:19653Phaser.Game.updateLogic @ phaser.js:26390Phaser.Game.update @ phaser.js:26327Phaser.RequestAnimationFrame.updateRAF @ phaser.js:44881_onLoop @ phaser.js:44865

I would recommend destroying the emitter in your state shutdown method. yes. There is an example (state test 01) included with the plugin that has 2 emitters, one per state, and swaps between them. It doesn't destroy the emitter but still seems to work, so may be worth comparing? Even so, in a full game, I'd still recommend destroying it properly.

• rich unpinned this topic
  • 8 months later...