Eclipse IDE for JavaScript Web Developers

Rudrabhoj Bhati

I was using lightweight geany for JavaScript. I used Eclipse back when I was learning Java and I liked its UI, curley red underline over syntax mistakes, etc.

I comes come across Eclipse IDE for JavaScript Web Developers

It is nothing less than great exprience for me. It was very easy to make it work under ubuntu 13.04 64 bit, extracted download file and installed openjdk-7-jre (sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jre  B)).

It works great. Only one problem is, when editing an HTML file though syntax coloring is fine, it don't underline the syntax errors inside <script> </script> like it do while editing javascript file. Not a deadly problem at all, even if I really want to embed all javascript code within HTMl file, I can always first program it as seperate file then copy paste it.

Here is an screenshot:

TLDj3oo.png

• 2 years later...

Any editor will, by default, have the same functionality you are seeing.

The file has a `.html` extension so the syntax highlighter (and any linting etc etc) will highlight against html, you'd need to explicitly tell it to highlight against JS or tell the highlighter to highlight JS for the script tags and html for everything else (most will not do this).

As you've said, its highly unlikely you'd have requirement to write large blocks of JS directly into HTML files, if you did, a build script should automate it for you, whereby your actual source would be in a .js file and highlighted properly (you can normally associate a highlight with a file extension so if you used .ts, .jsx or .es, for example, you'd get those highlighted too). For small blocks of JS in HTML files (config or external includes etc etc) surely you can live without highlighting :)