Obstacles of Olvorix

Yggdrasil

Hi, thought you guys might like to know about a game I've fiddled with.

This game is a retro maze-puzzle thing, build on a Boulderdash frame, but with other rules, graphics, and sounds. It has its own instructions about the new objects too.

It is distributed under the MIT License ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIT_License ), so if you like, you can use my messy code and any other files like graphics and sounds for your own projects - just remember to put me and anyone relevant on the credit list in your game. :)

Link to game source code download: http://worldtree.dk/games/obstacles/

Play the game: http://worldtree.dk/olvorix/index.html

post-5285-0-33169900-1382955634.png

Hmm...actually I don't understand what is your target platform?

If it's mobile, then this game doesn't suit it(controls, long game session).

If it's desktop, then html5 is just not the best solution.

And some thoughts in general:

-weak graphics

-no tutorial

-as a consequence high entrance level

Hmm...actually I don't understand what is your target platform?

If it's mobile, then this game doesn't suit it(controls, long game session).

If it's desktop, then html5 is just not the best solution.

And some thoughts in general:

-weak graphics

-no tutorial

-as a consequence high entrance level

It's just something I made for the fun of it, as a hobby - I guess it's not advanced enough for this forum. It's not made for mobile devices, but if html5 is not the best solution, are you thinking of C# or C++? I am afraid I've never tried that before, I made it originally in Java.

A friend of mine suggested I could port it to html5 as I was getting tired of Java, and he also suggested I made levels that would learn a player the objects "by doing" in stead of "by telling". I guess I've not succeeded in that.

are you thinking of C# or C++?

Before starting the development you better should:

define your target audience(who and how will play my game?), 

than define suitable technology(If your target is desktop browser game - than Flash is the best solution, if it's mobile browser game - than HTML5 is is best choice, etc.)

Obviously it's not all the questions that you should ask yourself before starting the development, but it can help to choose the right vector of movement :)

If I'd was making the game like this, probably I'd use Flash(as3) and release it to desktop browsers   -> IMHO

Before starting the development you better should:

define your target audience(who and how will play my game?), 

than define suitable technology(If your target is desktop browser game - than Flash is the best solution, if it's mobile browser game - than HTML5 is is best choice, etc.)

Obviously it's not all the questions that you should ask yourself before starting the development, but it can help to choose the right vector of movement :)

If I'd was making the game like this, probably I'd use Flash(as3) and release it to desktop browsers   -> IMHO

Thanks for the input :)

I was thinking that my target audience would be people who liked strategic maze-puzzles (like myself), but of course, hard to figure out who is interested (maybe it's only myself - hehe).

I will put Flash into mind. I've never tried that, but it might be fun to see what I can make of it.

hard to figure out who is interested (maybe it's only myself - hehe)

I'm sure there are the others :)

I will put Flash into mind. I've never tried that, but it might be fun to see what I can make of it. 

One more small remark:

Flash market demands more quality games than HTML5. So if you decided to go there and earn something, your game must be much more polished and have better graphics.

Good luck!

Sounds like it could be fun.

Try to make the movement better , that is , i don't have to release and press the keys every time , Update the graphics maybe and make things larger. Fix a few bugs :I could spot a very annoying bug that is , if you go into the portals (the kung fo signs) from the wrong direction they just disappear , and I have to restart, Oh and also try to include a restart button somewhere.

Do that and I'd definitely bookmark this ;) 

Sounds like it could be fun.

Try to make the movement better , that is , i don't have to release and press the keys every time , Update the graphics maybe and make things larger. Fix a few bugs :I could spot a very annoying bug that is , if you go into the portals (the kung fo signs) from the wrong direction they just disappear , and I have to restart, Oh and also try to include a restart button somewhere.

Do that and I'd definitely bookmark this ;)

I think the movement could be better, yes - you can press and hold a movement arrow to go faster, but it's not as smooth as I want. Larger graphics would mean the maze would be smaller, unless you are having a huge resolution on your screen. Besides I'm not so super at graphics, it would take much time I believe. The portals (or yin yang signs) are really supposed to dissapear if you go into them from the wrong direction - it's a rule in the game. You can restart the level by pressing the Escape key.

Thanks! :)