What are the prices these days?

gudo1

• 2 weeks later...

$500+ is fine ... if the game is worth buying at all.  I've never had a bona-fide customer tell me that the base-price is too much, they will be more interested in exclusive content or proprietary additions - often for more money.

That said ... I've found the number of potential buyers has been dropping (or consolidating?).  My estimate is, as of 2015 Q4, this is a market with probably less than a dozen real buyers, half of which are on pause at any given moment - so it's a continuously moving target.

Therefore, on a one-off basis, making the sale can often consume more in time than the revenue the eventual sale makes - let alone get value back for the original gamedev.

I've had more interesting conversations talking to OTT content providers - i.e. bulk - the per-game sale price might be reduced but the cost of the sale is less significant marginally so a higher overall value is achieved.  I might recommend that small groups of quality developers band together to offer bundles in such a capacity (just as our non-exclusive sponsors do).

However, it is always much better to make a game that is designed to yield direct revenue stream rather than rely on third party advertising shared umpteen ways.  i.e. why does this game exist, who cares, and how much will they pay as a result?

• 3 weeks later...