Daily (or not) PG

Stvsynrj

Hi guyz !

I start this topic so each one of us can post his PG instead of starting a topic for an effect or spaming existing topics (like i do since some times :) )

So for the first one, and to celebrate the new PBR Material i wanted to do something similar like this one :

http://mrdoob.neocities.org/013/

Well, i think i'm near to the result but it's not perfect.

Hope you enjoy !

http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#2JOSXE#2

post-17349-0-78852600-1448369431_thumb.p

Nice.

Differences between mrdoob's demo and yours reside in little but important details. Biggest one is the background : mrdoob has a moving subtle gradient, and this change everything, the deepness of the scene, the realness of the materials.

I think with the same background and Raanan tweeked values, we will be very close to mrdoob's one.

Added a blue hint to the background, added a bit more lag to each subsequent torus, fatten them up to make their colours more prominent, spread out each torus's subdivision based upon their size, and made it use all three primary colours, making it more colourful. Or were we going for exact mrdoob's?

http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#2JOSXE#8

Added a blue hint to the background, added a bit more lag to each subsequent torus, fatten them up to make their colours more prominent, spread out each torus's subdivision based upon their size, and made it use all three primary colours, making it more colourful. Or were we going for exact mrdoob's?

http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#2JOSXE#8

The blue tint is nice, still would be better if the gradient center moves. I like very much the idea to fatten a little the torus but now they intersect each other and that is ugly (having space between them add a bit of air, given the demo a slight classy touch. Also I prefer the previous colors system, less subtle and more "coherent for the brain" (the eyes have time to see the color transformation going through every torus, given the impression that the whole stuff is a single "alive" object, instead of distinct elements not living in harmony :D).

Like I said, the excellence of mrdoob's one is in the details.

That's always the case with impressive demos, and that's the main difference with "only technical" demos. That also exactly what I meant in an other recent post when I said we need more aesthetical demos. That does not mean we need contemplative-without-interest-not-interactive demos, that means we need technical demos (with all the power of BJS inside, using the excellent interactions system possibilities), but with all the subtle details a graphist can bring to it, giving a "woawww effect" for techies as much as for non techies (when time comes to choose an engine, the whole team has to choose, not just the devs).

And when the demo is really nicely done, subtle details everywhere, almost everyone will prefer (because they inconsciously feel more confortable with) the nice one, but almost nobody can't say why :lol: :lol:.

As a demomaker since 1994, i must second @Vousk-prod. I must say without shame that us (developers) are nothing without our graphicians/designers.

I will no count how many times i heard "please Steve, stop using coder's colors :)" .... Even if the tech is present without layers etc... you will not get "whouu" reaction.

Here are some screenshots from something we will release soon, You can easely see the work over the effects ;) (all overlays are rotating/moving))

post-17349-0-74460000-1448532746_thumb.p

post-17349-0-55195000-1448532801_thumb.p

The blue tint is nice, still would be better if the gradient center moves. I like very much the idea to fatten a little the torus but now they intersect each other and that is ugly (having space between them add a bit of air, given the demo a slight classy touch. Also I prefer the previous colors system, less subtle and more "coherent for the brain" (the eyes have time to see the color transformation going through every torus, given the impression that the whole stuff is a single "alive" object, instead of distinct elements not living in harmony :D).

I noticed some intersect in mrdoob's but it is not as prominent. But like you've mentioned it's all the extra polish details, like the gradient material and extra specular lighting.