[Phaser / WIP] Robotic Conflict

nkholski

To my great surprise I've actually stayed focused on a game project long enough to produce a playable level. Robotic Conflict is inspired by the NES-version of Gunsmoke (I actually used Gunsmoke sprites as space holders during most of the development). I started working on it with mobiles in mind, thus the portrait orientation. It also ran quite well on my Nexus 5 until sometime half-way through the development when I shifted focus to just make something "finished" regardless of performance. There is a lot of inconsistencies in the source code, known bugs, hard coded hacky solutions, wierd globals and stuff that should really be pooled etcetera. Instead of trying to fix an annoying bug when restarting the game play-state I decided to force the player to reload the page on death or finishing the game. At this moment I'm not sure if this is a WIP-version or if I will just abandon it as it is. 

Features: Four different enemies. Four types of weapons. Three kinds of power ups. One boss fight. A few minutes game play.

Try it here: http://dev.niklasberg.se/roboticConflict/

screenshot.png

really great !!! I liked the boss, it s a perfect first level, not too hard.

The only thing is the game stopped when I was stuck by water.

Thanks! A little to easy perhaps, but its just a demo. Do you remember if you were on the far left or right side of the screen when you got stuck? That's one of the known bugs I was referring to. Maybe I should fix that one then.

Pretty fun, can I even destroy the turret of boss?

No, I thought about it but it would leave the boss helpless. Only way to destroy the turrets is to blow up the whole boss by attacking the weak spot :-)

Thanks! A little to easy perhaps, but its just a demo. Do you remember if you were on the far left or right side of the screen when you got stuck? That's one of the known bugs I was referring to. Maybe I should fix that one then.

I was on the far right side of the screen

• 1 month later...

Thanks! I haven't touched the code since November, but the feedback I've since Rich fronted it on Phaser.io this week has been really encouraging. I'm already far into another project that I hope to be able to post an demo on soon so for now "Robotic Conflict" will remain as it is. However, I played it now for the first time since I posted it here and realized it's not as bad as I remembered it and I might pick it up in the future to iron out the bugs, do some overall improvements and add a few levels.

The code is a mess in it's present form which make me a bit reluctant to continue. I'm using ES2015/ES6 (https://github.com/belohlavek/phaser-es6-boilerplate) in my current project which I would recommend for creating manageable code in larger projects (unless the reason I do better this time is that I suddenly became much more organized).

If I decide to pick this up in the future I will review the suggestions in this thread.