Bubble Wizzley - Rainbow Islands style underwater platform adventure

rothers

Here is my next game to show you, I've been working on this one on an off for a year as I was never happy with it until recently.

thumb1.png

http://boozegames.com/bubble/bubble.html

It's in the style of rainbow islands / parasol stars etc. lots of secrets and you get to fight a freaking octopus!

(if you can get that far of course!)

It was originally inspired by Dizzy on the Amiga, but i strayed from the play style a bit!

Arrow keys or touch to play, uses mod player (see source to get/use it), supports cookies and local storage.

Should run on anything but is actually more CPU intensive than you might think due to the water effect but also the level generation routine and I've seen on slower systems it can pause for 1 second between levels while it does some calculations, I can solve this by spreading them out over frames if it's an issue.

Enjoy!

thumb2.png

Argh, I did change the touch screen controls just before I uploaded it! I'll have a check on them now.

OK it should be fixed, I'm so pissed off with myself... I left it in debug mode!

Urgh. Always happens! *should be working now I hope*.

Had to remotely do that, not nice trying to use the console on a little phone.

Thanks for telling me, that's what this section is for, very glad I put it here before showing it to anyone else!

• 2 weeks later...

First off, I love the graphical style and all the effects, like the water, as well as the sound effects and the fantastic music!

A few notes, however:

-Intuitively, I thought that the rising bubbles were just a decoration and you'd have to swim up to the surface. It was only later that I realised what you had to do with them. Likewise, I thought the character would move by tapping on his left/right side, but apparently his moving direction is determined by the half of the screen you touch.

Maybe some sort of a quick tutorial would help figuring out the idea and the controls quicker?

-Watching the intro texts every time after I got a game over got a bit tedious :/

-The options button doesn't really stand out from the main menu screen.

Despite the initial problems, I felt the game was fun to play once I understood how it works :)

By the way, I tried with a Samsung Galaxy S4 4G+ and it ran without any problems.

• 2 weeks later...

I've now added this to the chrome store (free obviously), this is my first attempt at using the store and for some reason I can't seem to get the game to show up on the store itself.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/bubble-wizzley/dljpkdkdgfoapkehgkclijbblgnejnfj

I think that's the direct link to the game, am I doing something wrong or do google have some magic going on before it appears to other users?

I've also fixed a few bugs and such.

-Watching the intro texts every time after I got a game over got a bit tedious :/

Hi, thanks for the feedback, what do you mean by having to watch the intro text? The game over screen? Or is something happening to stop the game being started again? 

You should just be able to press the area where it says 'bubble wizzley' to start at any time. I don't have access to many phones so testing for that is a bit of a nightmare if it is doing something weird.