Pixelracer - race a pixel around a tiny track.

flukeout

Hey folks - I'm new to the board and wanted to show you a little side project I'm working on called Pixelracer.

You can try it here - http://pixelracer.herokuapp.com

It's all built with HTML, CSS and JS and runs on tiny track images (around 40x40 pixels) that are scaled up a bunch.

The logic of the tracks is all based on the HEX colors of the pixels, so it's easy to make and edit tracks.

Currently you can race against other players that might be online, or try to challenge for the medals on each track in the single player mode.

Use the arrow keys to drive. 

Let me know any feedback you have, particularly around how to make the single-player experience more engaging.

Cheers!

This is great. Infact, I think its brilliant.

Really smooth, really simple.

Any plans to let users edit/create tracks which can be uploaded? Maybe users can organise tracks or competitions (no idea what prizes would be, maybe some sort of score attached to a user, maybe items—like the lampposts—that can be unlocked to add to your own tracks? maybe you just win kudos? or trophies of some sort?)? 

I'd say car customisations, but, kinda difficult with just a single pixel to work with! Car properties though, acceleration, drag, grip etc etc, although the simple nature of how it is currently is one of its biggest strengths so gotta balance up carefully between list of features and that simplicity shining through.

Some sort of story mode for single player? You start at one group of tracks for a championship, once you hit gold you can go to the next champ? Or maybe a calendar of events that you work through? One week you're in one place, the next week you're in the next and you gotta do something in between, maybe fix up/improve your car/driver? Of course, I'd guess you'd need AI to make it more interesting, I wonder if you could mock an AI out of the performance of real online drivers? Create AI racing lines based on interpolations of actual human-driven laps? 

So much that you could do.

Anyhows, well done, great game

Well, that is pretty small but addicting game. I only played the single-player mode and got really frustrated to the ghost driver. I mean, I hated and loved the challenge at the same time. brilliant.  :D

One suggestion though: I would modify the pixel to look like an actual car, it would be more entertaining; And I feel somewhat bad by saying this, as your whole app is named as "pixelracer". However, I think you can keep the name even if you modify the car to look slightly more as a "car". ? :)  

Cheers!

Appreciate the feedback guys, thanks for checking it out.

I was thinking of creating a track editor, or at least letting people upload their own tracks - I think with the small image size, it would be easy enough for people to feel like they could make something fun to race on.

I'll work on making the single player mode into more of a sequence maybe, where you can unlock the tracks in order by getting medals.

Multiplayer bring another dimension, it's really cool I tested with a friend. Chat feature is nice too :) but it records laps in a strange way: 10 run for one lap?  I also found a bug falling from the track, I cannot goes back and the pixel keep falling down. SP is nice too with all tracks, keep investigating this way ;)