[Phaser] Treasure Hunter

JMarques

Feature Graphic.png

Hi everyone!

I've been playing with the Phaser framework for a few months now and have recently released my first game on both mobile devices as well as web browsers.

The game was developed using Phaser and Tiled for the level design. I've also used the CocoonJS wrapper to submit to the app stores. I'll leave you with a description for the game below, as well as some screenshots and links to play it.

Description:

Join our hero in his quest, raiding through dangerous ruins in search for the most precious relics. Move fast, avoid the obstacles and collect all coins to reveal the hidden treasure in each level.

Features:

- Addictive gameplay where timing is key
- 20 challenging levels filled with treasure
- Beautiful Pixel Art style graphics

Screenshots:

Screenshot 1.pngScreenshot 2.png

Screenshot 3.pngScreenshot 4.png

Links:

Android Version: http://tinyurl.com/treasure-hunter-android

iOS Version: http://tinyurl.com/treasure-hunter-ios

Browser Version: https://jmarques.itch.io/treasure-hunter

Suggestions are always welcome! I hope you enjoy the game!

Tough as nails! I played until level 9 and the going had already started getting tough a few levels earlier, so I'll just have to wonder how difficult the levels near the end are...

That said, the difficulty isn't generally a bad thing, and I typically enjoy difficult games like Super Meat Boy. However, I feel that the game is quite unforgiving with the accuracy that it requires of jumps, especially near the ledges of platforms. Although I must say that a part of this may have been caused due to the fact that I was playing with a rather small screen, as I was using my Samsung Galaxy S4.

But other than the difficulty issue, I felt that the game was enjoyable. The concept was a nice change to the generic endless runners with no direction reversals. The good feel was definitely there, assisted greatly by the visual apperance, fitting sound effects and fantastic theme song which, by the way, I'm still listening to, even though I stopped playing already :)

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Blue Infinity, a new mechanic is introduced at level 11, so give it a go!  :)

Yes, the game can be a bit unforgiving at times, especially near the ledges like you said, but since the levels are small enough, it shouldn't take long to clear each level.

I'm glad you like the theme song, I like it a lot too! It wasn't easy to choose the right song, but I think the fast-paced electronic genre fits the game nicely.

Very nice!! Looks great and is a very nice albeit challenging 1 button platformer - it deserves to do well.

Would have liked keyboard support such that pressing a key like x or space also jumped. It might be my mouse or my lack of skill/reaction time but the controls felt a bit unforgiving, and when I died on spikes instead of jumping I could have sworn I clicked in time... as I said though this could have just been me (and if it weren't for mentions of "unresponsive controls" on the Android store reviews I mightn't have mentioned it)

Other than that, I must say that passing under the coins without collecting them when they are at their highest arc in their animation loop (eg. very evident for me on level 4) didn't feel fair and felt like a random hindrance, I would have preferred that the coins had a static hitbox and I think it would have made the game feel slightly more 'solid'

Oh, and while the game is fine/complete without it, an achievement system or optional challenges (eg. stars) could really add to re-playability.

Other than that, I must say that passing under the coins without collecting them when they are at their highest arc in their animation loop (eg. very evident for me on level 4) didn't feel fair and felt like a random hindrance, I would have preferred that the coins had a static hitbox and I think it would have made the game feel slightly more 'solid'

I tried the game again and noticed this same thing. I absolutely agree with chg that this should be fixed.

i agree with the coin issue. the game is still very neat and quite polished. i noticed some issues were the character wont jump every time but well its just like the good old super mario games ;)

would have loved to jump with the spacebar as option for pc gamers. the difficulty was entertaining but could be quite hard for casual gamers. never the less its a nicely done game.

reminds me of a tower climber i did for a one button competition. if i ever come across another one button challenge i would attempt your concept for sure :)

Do you think you could post some tutorials/source code?

I'd love to learn from you. This game is really fun, and works really well in my browser.

Thanks and let me know! :)

Actually, the source code is fully available through the browser itself, just press Ctrl+U (on windows) to check the source code, and then check lines 26 through 33, where you'll be able to see the entire source code for each state of the game individually. ;)  

This is great! Well done! 

Am I right in thinking that if I choose spacebar initially I'm spacebar for the whole of the level? It's extremely minor but wouldnt spacebar or click/touch be more intuitive?

Also, how about some sort of star rating for each level based on either time or the number of jumps taken to complete the level? This would add some more replayability too as players get better they can go back and star all the levels etc etc A well-used dynamic but would seem to fit with this style.

Once again though, well done, its a cracking little game!

This is great! Well done! 

Am I right in thinking that if I choose spacebar initially I'm spacebar for the whole of the level? It's extremely minor but wouldnt spacebar or click/touch be more intuitive?

Also, how about some sort of star rating for each level based on either time or the number of jumps taken to complete the level? This would add some more replayability too as players get better they can go back and star all the levels etc etc A well-used dynamic but would seem to fit with this style.

Once again though, well done, its a cracking little game!

Hi mattstyles,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "spacebar or click/touch"...is it a grammar issue or a gameplay issue? In fact, if you first click, then the spacebar will be locked and won't be usable until you restart the level or move to the next one. However, if you press the spacebar first, then you can use both the spacebar and the mouse buttons on the same level, kind of an issue that came up...but since I don't see a reason why someone would want to switch controls during the same level, I just let it slide.

In terms of replayability, the number of jumps taken is a really nice metric, thank you for the suggestion!  :) 

Absolutely loved this game, well done!
I'm only just starting out, dabbling with Phaser and game dev in general. I find I have a tendancy to make things too complicated and find ways of adding to a game idea or mechanic.
This is fantastic inspiration, showing what can be done with such a simple core mechanic. Loved it.

Everything is inspired by something, "the most original people are those best at hiding their references!", not saying that is the case here as the 'retro pixel' style is very popular at the moment and click to jump is a well-used dynamic. There are probably 10 or so other games that are similar, same as most other games. This one is very well done, and thats the most important bit.

Hey goldenration,

I've just finished playing that game to completion and it was very cool. However I don't find any strong similarities with my game as they feature different controls and graphics. One can say that they both use retro-style pixel graphics but that would be too broad of a category to judge by. I think what led you to think both games were similar was the characters' hairstyle (although the one from Spacescape looks cooler ;)). The truth is that everything nowadays is inspired by something that was inspired by something else. What I believe that matters, is that developers are able to add their own personal flair or twist to a popular genre and create a great experience for the players.

sorry to be that person, but the game character & art style looks too similar to SpaceEscape game http://www.a10.com/action-games/spacescape (td2tl.com)

The character looks similar because I've made both of them lol.

If you're interested you can buy the graphics here: https://www.scirra.com/store/2d-game-graphics-packs/super-platformer-assets-1059

Mechanics and level design look similar to Panda Love that I've made: https://www.scirra.com/store/games-with-source/panda-love-900

Also there's this game combine both already : http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/663458  (by Primajin)