Twas The Night Before Christmas

gryff

Well here is my Christmas card for the BJS forum. Basically some memories of Christmas past - all rolled into one. A story of some of my Past Christmas eves.

As far as BJS is concerned, a lot of use of instances - bows, bells and streamers - but also furniture. The clock tells the time on your computer, and music will be played.

It features a lot of click and stuff happens - something iiceman suggested earlier in the month.

Ooh - there is a key hidden in the room - can you find it? I had thought that the clock would start out stopped and you could use the key to rewind it - but time ran out :(

Anyway, Merry Christmas to all - hope you enjoy it.

cheers, gryff :)

Note: the approach is a Victorian space, and the cat on the wall (and the landscape) may not look quite Victorian - but they are actual quilts a craft that goes back several hundred years. They were done with a quilting technique known as "needle painting". They are unique, and both came to me as Christmas presents.

Very, very, nice gryff.  :D   Your Christmas message brings allot of good cheer and good thoughts to my family this current Christmas season.  Although I wished that I had followed my own advice from last year and waited to view until tomorrow morning when the day is new and to bring forth some well needed Cristmas cheer for my family. Last year's scene which you posted truly brought tears to my eyes and is still a classic for me - as I'm also certain it must be for others as well. I can't truly explain how much it means to me to feel as though I'm a part of something greater than just a community of users here on the HTML5 Game Developers Forum.

In your most recent post, I really enjoyed being able to explore the rooms and all of the drawers and cabinets, and found the composition books where each poem was read outload with good clarity. I'm not certain if there was animation I missed when I was told to close each book after the poem was complete, but perhaps this was just to keep the scene from producing any conflicts resulting from within your scripts. However, I thoroughly enjoyed exploring the scene and it's simple animations - of course, including the clock, the poems, and the playable wax vernacular cylinder from the victrola sitting on the tabletop. And as you did last year, thank you for producing another Christmas scene this year which is quite a nice offerring and again brought a smile to my face.

I debated writing this next paragraph as part of this post, but I thought it might be appropriate under the circumstances, as we have created a GoFundME page which my family is asking for any kind assistance anyone might be able to provide to help with medical bills we have been accumulating in helping my Mother in Law to treat her bone and spinal cancer - which we will begin her treatment this Friday on Christmas day. I am picking up my Wife and Mother in law at the airport (LAX) tomorrow at around 12 noon, and am driving them both directly to a hospital in Playa (Tijuana), Mexico, which is one of the very best in the world named "Oasis of Hope" - which you can find at http://www.oasisofhope.com/ which is her only hope in possibly treating her stage IV cancer, and is the only hospital world wide which is even willing to attempt treatment for a woman in her 70s and in her condition - so we are praying and certainly hoping for a miracle. And I was waiting to show her gryff's scene as it will certainly bring a smile to her face, and especially the beautiful scene from last year. And to make matters even slightly worse, my Wife's cat whom she loves almost as much as her Mother has had a stroke this past Tuesday -  and this cat really does like to hear music and truly responds very happily to music - so I know her cat will enjoy the scenes very much. I know this sounds more than a bit absurb, but I'm really not exagerating, as this cat rolls around on the ground and also rubs up against people when she hears a song she really likes - as this is some of the stangest animal behavior I have ever personally seen.

We certainly have much more hope for my Wife's Mother's health, although the doctors told us that we would have to put her cat to sleep by now as the cat was paralized from her neck down following her stroke - but she has had her own miracle, and is now able to stand a bit on her own now, and may actually recover - although the doctors report that this truly is a medical miracle which they have never seen before under any circumstance.  I'm only mentioning this on a game geveloper's site since I will be spending the holidays by myself, and welcome all posts and specifically the one's gryff has posted here as it improves my and my Wife's days such as today when I got my first chance to view this new link and t revisit the fantastic one from last year. So thank gryff again this year, as my day has been made much better by the time spent building and posting these Christmas cards, as this really does make us all feel just a little bit better than without them.

If anyone reading this is able to donate any amount to our Mother's medical care, the link to the GoFundMe website to donate is:

https://www.gofundme.com/6759urvc

The pictures you'll find in the link are of my very lovely Wife Aura, and of her Mother - as well as some pictures of her family from this past Thanksgiving in Thailand. I am American, but as I've mentioned in many posts in the past on this forum, I have had the very great fortume of being able to work all around the world in the film industry and on many other projects - where on one specific trip in 2009, I was so very fortuate to meet my terrific Wife Aura and her family who have all been so very kind to me over the years. I was to never get married and fought against this all my life - until I met her. However, we have now virtually depleted all of our savings and resources in caring for her Mother, as well as her Father and my Father who both passed away from cancer in the past 10 years, and to also cover my Mother's medical expenses these past 5 years from the very same cancer Aura's Mother has developed which is bone cancer - however, as a citizen of the US and having the very best health care available to her, my Mother is in remission, and is currently doing very well due to the quality of care in America. However, we cannot afford Aura's Mother's care here in the US, and if we did have the choice, I would still choose to pay for the private care for my Mother in Law in Mexico, as this hospital is fantastic, and has a verified remission rate 3 times what the remission rate for treatment is in the Us. So if you or anyone in your family ever must face what we are currently facing for our Mother's health, I highly recommend looking closely at this hospital in Playa, Mexico - as I would go there myself if it were me who was diagnosed with cancer. So I hope that this information might help anyone who might be facing this for a friend, family member, or themserlves in the future - God forbid.

My sincerest apologies for bringing in this as part of a post which was to focus on a fantastic Chrstmas scene built for all of us to enjoy by the talented artist and deveper gryff, and I hope I didn't take this to a place which is completely inappropriate. If so, I'm so very sorry, as I really never meant to mention any of the above - but sometimes these things just come out sometimes when writing late at night and having to face all I have to deal with at this time.

Merry Christmas to everyone in the babylon.js community and I and my Family wish you all the very best of wishes this holiday season. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!  :D

Cheers to All, and may 2016 be the very best of all years to come !!! -

And may all of your dreams come true!

From My Family to yours!

David and Aura Bawel and Family.

Following my elaborate post which began as a tribute to gryff for both this year and last year's Christmas card, I need to again post what his initial post was, and apologize for ranting on about my personal thoughts on his post and my personal trials at this time. However, I am truly thankful for gryf's work the past  years in providing us with the very best Christmas gifts anyone on the babylon.js forum ever could. So the following is a re-post of his terrific and truly enjoyable post for Christmas of 2015:

Well here is my Christmas card for the BJS forum. Basically some memories of Christmas past - all rolled into one. A story of some of my Past Christmas eves.

As far as BJS is concerned, a lot of use of instances - bows, bells and streamers - but also furniture. The clock tells the time on your computer, and music will be played.

It features a lot of click and stuff happens - something iiceman suggested earlier in the month.

Ooh - there is a key hidden in the room - can you find it? I had thought that the clock would start out stopped and you could use the key to rewind it - but time ran out  :(

Anyway, Merry Christmas to all - hope you enjoy it.

cheers, gryff  :)

Note: the approach is a Victorian space, and the cat on the wall (and the landscape) may not look quite Victorian - but they are actual quilts a craft that goes back several hundred years. They were done with a quilting technique known as "needle painting". They are unique, and both came to me as Christmas presents.

Glad you liked it David - but very sad to hear about your wife's mother. If anything I have created brings a smile to the faces of your family - then just that gives me  a great  feeling of achievement :) You are right about the community too - DK, his team,  and all the members have created something special. As I have said before, I am not a very good coder but I feel quite welcome here.

Dad72 - I will give you a clue - think Chinese Puzzle box ;)

Ohh and as an aside, I got another of those needle painted quilts - my daughter's Italian Greyhound - maybe I can find away to use it one day :unsure:

Competition for Christmas scenes seems to be hotting up this year - some great stuff :lol:

cheers, gryff :)