Welcome to the new forum - Please read!!

RaananW

Dear community,

A few changes were recently made to the forum. We have a new and improved layout to work with, and some new sections for organization.

The forum is now divided to four sub-sections:

Demos and Projects is used to showcase your work. If it is either a nice playground or a whole website you have created with Babylon.js, we want to see it! Please share a link, a screenshot, or anything project related.

Questions & Answers is used to ask questions about the framework's features, and about subjects you don't quite understand. Don't know how to use CSG? Don't understand what a physics body impostor is? this is the place for you. It is built in a "stack overflow" style - questions have their answers, which can be upvoted or downvoted. Please don't forget:

• Show us what you did so far. We are all very happy to help (always), but we won't do your homework for you. Start a playground, share a link! A functional demo (with a question at the end) will give everyone the chance to understand what you mean. 
  • If you share an external link, have the bablylon.max.js version available on the server. Otherwise it is impossible to debug.
  • If this is not possible - share some code. Unless it is a philosophical question about the life, Babylon.js and everything, code is the right way to go.
  • Try searching the forum before submitting a question. Chances are, this question was already asked by a different user and was already answers. Pro tip - the forum's search (thou revamped) misses topics from time to time. Try searching using google/bing/duckduckgo/altavista, adding "babylon.js" before your question.
  • If you have your question answered, mark it as answered. This will surely help other people in the future!

Bugs is used to report bugs in the framework. If you tried doing something and it doesn't work correctly, it is a bug. Please don't forget:

• Unlike questions and answers - a demo is a must! I can't think of a way you found a bug without actually writing code.
  • Same as in Q&A - If you share an external link, have the bablylon.max.js version available on the server to help us debug the error..
  • This is an open source project. We never say no to contributions. Found a bug? Have some time? Look at the source and see where we might be wrong.
  • Try the current stable and the preview version before submitting - maybe it was already fixed!

Announcements will be used by the framework's moderators to notify about news regarding Babylon.js. New versions, a new CDN server, a Babylon.js conference, those kind of things.

Apart from that, there is still the main page which will be used for general discussions. The main page also hosts old topics from the old forum's layout. This is the place to ask about the members' programming experience, talk about tutorials, share a nice link you found about the framework. Whatever doesn't fit into the other sub categories. This is also the place to ask about integration with other frameworks or other technologies.

Some general Guidelines:

• Be nice! Don't expect anyone to help you just because you have a problem. Don't forget - this is an open source framework. We are all working on it on our spare time.
  • Please try being clear! We are all international users, English is not always out mother tongue. We do understand that!
  • Liked a post? Press the like button! It will only make the other side feel proud. It is also a way for you to bookmark answers you liked.
  • If you have any personal questions, contact one of the forum moderators. Anything else belong in the forum for everyone to learn from!
  • Don't be afraid to make mistakes or to post questions you feel are silly. They are sometimes the most important ones! 

That's about it! Happy writing :)

41 minutes ago, JCPalmer said:

I thought Dad72 had in his list of categories a place for something like that.

Why me ? I proposed there is some time to have categories, but I did not create the lists.

But I suppose so, Ads may suit the next version of Blender or 3DS Max and others.

Raanan, I like this subforum idea - but I suggestion and 2 comments.

The suggestion. If the monthly challenges are to become a regular feature - a subforum for the challenges ? All the challenges and comments/polls will be in one place - no need to pin them as happened with the November challenge.

Comment 1. There is a pinned thread on the main forum called "Announcements" and a subforum called "Announcements" - could this be confusing?

Comment 2. Is it necessary to have the names of all the people in all the forums at HTML 5 Game Devs showing when I am in the BJS forum?

cheers, gryff :)

Hi gryff,

I can answer regarding the challenges - Starting February I will continue with regular monthly challenges. If you ask where they belong - that would be the general forum. Questions about the challenge can then be submitted in the Q&A and the final results will be submitted by me to the demos and projects, of course while updating the main challenge thread.

Yep, this new layout is great. @Rich did a nice job. But I think that some elements and paddings really are too big, I hate the return key which automatically insert a new empty line (we loose the ability to write well structured and readable text, sometime we simply want to go new line without adding an empty line), I miss the ability to change font (I used to use courrier new for function names, params, inside a text paragraph for better reading), and I'm really sad most avatar pics are now totally blurred...

Well... I love the idea of having categories !

Of course we won't sort every older post in the new categs, but could we at least move the old pinned ones in Announcements ? (that was convenient to access them easily).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

A few words after testing the new forum. I know that we have to adapt. But I really feel bad with this new version. Principally for one reason :

question and answer is totally unfriendly, impersonal, anonymous ; totally to the opposite of this great community. Too bad. 

sam

I keeps saying the same thing about this forum question and answer that is not like the others and I do not understand why.

All forums have been like that a moment and I ask Rich to return as before and he forget to put the question and answer forum same , but now he told me that he can not do it without the "manuel" forum but yet this had been done (on the same topic). so I'm not sure I understand everything.

I feel the same, dudes. Exactly the same.
And it's not about the new or ex forum featuresn nor about the templates, etc... but more about I feel like we've lost some interpersonal live relationships or some conviviality.
Who's online ? reading what at this very moment ? may I join this thread/chat at this moment ? what are my friends currently interested in ? 
Those were many parts of my day before. They no longer exist.

3 hours ago, Deltakosh said:

Ok but who will import all the content that we have here?

There is the possibility by asking Rich, export the database on all topics babylon and reinstate a new forum with SQL queries. This is something I can do, if necessary.

Then on this forum, simply create a redirect for a time to the new forum.

this solution will not lose Babylon of history

Well, first we need to think about this Q&A mode, and "the other" mode.

We want to "look" like this... http://www.html5gamedevs.com/forum/14-phaser/  ... correct?  (more like the old days)  :)

I think that is what Dad72 is trying to get, and there might be some misunderstanding, there.

Dad72 wants Rich to change our mode.  Rich might think that Dad72 wants something else (like special customizing of the mode we are currently using).

Our pinned topics look good, like the old days.  Our in-category lists... http://www.html5gamedevs.com/forum/28-questions-answers/  look different... not so appealing... less than optimal.  :)  

First, let's try to flip some switches and convert to "phaser mode" like the link above.  It might be easy.  Maybe not.  We might have to say goodbye to our "categories"?  Dunno.  There might be mis-communication happening.