QICI Engine Review

Serapth

As it was built over top of, and integrates nicely with phaser, I figure this is appropriate to post here.

I recently just finished doing a Closer Look at The QICI Engine, which is a combination of a review and a getting started tutorial, to give you an idea if a game engine is right for you.

You may have never heard of it, as it was only recently released, QICI is a game engine built over top of Phaser, that exposes phaser nicely to game code, while providing an extremely polished game editor and a component based design.  If you are working with phaser, you really should check out QICI.

It looks like a very capable development editor. My question would be whether it will be maintained and linked to the Laser code base when it's released. Future proofing my time investment in learning to use it. Always an issue in non-commercially supported applications.

Cheers.

Yes we're already discussing with the QICI team how to integrate it fully with Lazer. Ideally you'll be seeing some of the (very powerful) UI features they built make their way into Lazer natively.

Also I'd say it's commercially supported. It may be free, but it's built by a decent sized team at the heart of a gaming company, who use it for all their html5 work. Like Phase itself I guess.

Ah, good to hear that Rich and it bodes well for future proofing both Lazer and QICI I would think. Thanks for the heads-up on the support for QICI, I had no idea and it's good to see a serious effort and commitment in both Phaser/Lazer and QICI. With so many html5 API projects coming and going these days, I hope to be a long term user of Phaser and QICI. :)

So, that being said, I'm off to give both a good workout!

Cheers.

I'm trying to use it right now.

Using a Unity Model has a big plus,but more documentation is needed

- Examples are kind of useless because i had to download projects so i could understand something, and some of them are detected as virus (LOL) so i couldn't view at them. As with unity, documentation for scripting and for Editor options are NEEDED asap. 

- I recommend to use it with a external js editor. Internal editor is good but slow and inefficient for alt tab and locate issues.

-  It has a LOT of potential, and i am pretty sure that if Lazer would join with Phaser Editor and QICI could get a HTML5 engine that could change the Indie gamedev this year.

Thank Serapth for your QICI Engine Review article, just like rich said we are commercial company(http://www.qcplay.com/), in 2015 we has made some HTML5 game based on Phaser, and QICI Engine is the tool we are using by ourself, we think this kind of tool is not only useful for us, so we make it free and open source to help more people making HTML5 games more easily.

We are investing on HTML5 game seriously, these days we are adding box2d plugin, creating flash like action editor, providing native packaging solution, so QICI Engine will be maintained for long term. 

About Lazer, in 2016 we will keep QICI Engine based on Phaser, we have customized Phaser too much, for supporting dragonbones animation and nine-patch image we have overrided a lot of WebGl and Canvas rendering, it's hard for us to even move to Phaser 2.4.* not to mention Lazer. But for users there is no need to worry, we keep track of bug fixes and performance improvements for Phaser and PIXI. So though QICI Engine is based on Phaser 2.3.0, but it will never be outdated. 

For now we will focus on QICI Editor's user experience and improve documents, in the future when Lazer is released we will evaluate the necessity of migrating to Lazer. I have discussed with rich about the QICI Engine's UI features, maybe rich can absorb some ideas to support these features in Lazer natively. So maybe QICI Engine 1.* is based on Phaser, and QICI Engine 2.* will be based on Lazer.

For DonFrag's question, qc.Node works just like unity's GameObject.Find, you can find any node from hierarchy by find method, for exmaple: game.world.find('grandpaName/parentName/childName'). For any other question just feel free to ask in https://github.com/qiciengine/qiciengine/issues, we never mind to use github issues as question forum.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/18/2016 at 1:04 PM, BunBunBun said:

agree with DonFrag, it's hard to understand how to work examples without the downloading files.

but really, QICI Engine has a big potential :)

Just a update guys!

The qici team have been busy, with publishing, all their components on github.

You can download the source code of the demos , documentation, and core.

They also respond fast, to their ask forum, and even created cdn's.

Manual Docs

API Docs

Demos

Then there is also A Closer Look at the QICI Engine(30 min), and the write-up, as noted in this thread. But personally I'm hungry for a bit more content. So if anybody want to collaborate on something, they should pm me.

I also just want to say, thanks to the QICI Engine team, for releasing the Project!

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 15.12.2016 at 9:40 PM, triptych said:

Has there been any updates or news on QICI engine lately? Seems like the support forums are very quiet, and the source hasn't been updated in a while. Any updates? Just let us know you're still there and alive and kicking?

but qici very good tool without support with docs only

my project theme http://ask.qiciengine.com/?/question/78

demo link: http://elmigo.ru/aster

scrshot_327.jpg

Tried it some months ago (before touching Phaser actually)  - interesting and easy to use but poor documentation and slow performance. Some native Phaser capabilities are missing. Was impressed though by the box2d plugin. 

It has a lot of potential but it's definitely not there yet.

7 hours ago, Elmigo said:

poor documentation? maybe different people search different... i find all i need

slow perfomans? how you compare?

Simple. By rendering a number of objects and see when my FPS drops considerably. At 30+ sprites on screen the fps drops, a lot. Add some transparency and it drops way more. By comparison in Phaser I can draw 50 to a 100 without significant losses and transparency it's not an issue. 

As for the documentation maybe we didn't look in the same place - there's an API and  DEMOS page but that's about it. The last I remember the API was poorly documented - it seems the page it's broken so I can't give an example. Also changing the way the game scale or background color was a nightmare - I had to dig deep into the source code and still couldn't solve my issue. So ease of use when implementing sponsors requirements and API's - zero. 

Running into a specific problem that's not mentioned in the DEMOS or other guides it's usually a dead end since the forum dedicated to QICI it's mostly dead.

That's about sums it up.