CanvasMark 2013

rich

Hi,

As the author of the benchmark, thanks for letting your users know and thanks for the comments.

>Yeah the fact you got nearly 19,000 on a really old PC vs. my much lower
score honestly makes me question the validity of this test.

Indeed yes - and with additional testing (thanks to you guys and many others!) a problem with the scoring system on Windows+Chrome was found. This meant that machines running Windows were producing scores that were lower than they should be compared to Linux/Mac. If you care about the reason I've added this note to the page:

To get the best benchmark score for your machine, it is advisable to Disable VSync. Go to "about:flags" and toggle Disable GPU VSync "Disables synchronisation with the display's vertical refresh rate when GPU rendering." This will resolve the issue with the Chrome implementation of "requestAnimationFrame()" that tries to maintain a steady 60 frames-per-second (FPS) but on Windows with accelerated 2D canvas support, it will drop immediately down to 30 FPS when 60 FPS is not achievable with no gradual degredation. On Mac/Linux the drop in FPS is gradual and therefore does not affect the benchmark. So if you see the FPS counter drop directly from around 60 FPS to 30 FPS then you should do this. This will not produce an "unfair" score as scores are based on time not the number of frames generated.

I have uploaded an improved version of the benchmark which will give more accurate scores across OS types, feel free to refresh and have another try! Unfortuately scores from the previous version of the benchmark cannot be compared to the new version.

Thanks again.

Kev [CanvasMark]

Got about 10000 on Ubuntu 12.04 / Chrome 25. 

Hardware: Core i5 / 8GB RAM / GeForce 630GT

But my chrome://gpu says:

Graphics Feature Status
  • [*]
Canvas: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable [*]Compositing: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable [*]3D CSS: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration unavailable [*]CSS Animation: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable [*]WebGL: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration unavailable [*]WebGL multisampling: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration unavailable [*]Flash 3D: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration unavailable [*]Flash Stage3D: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration unavailable [*]Texture Sharing: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration unavailable [*]Video Decode: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable [*]Video: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable [*]Panel Fitting: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration disabled. [*]Force Compositing Mode: Unavailable. Hardware acceleration unavailable

So on Windows it might be better I suppose.