[Launched] Thumb Space

0Hayes

Hey Folks! 

It’s time to take to the skies, strap a gun to your thumb and fight the enemy in this fast-action, adrenaline-fuelled, thumb shoot ‘em up!

Thumb Space is here! Download now on the app store

Check out the trailer:

5n6jop.gifadgi1l.gif

j6okzm.gif2598woi.gif

We need your help designing the next ship that will be added to the fleet!

Slap the creative grease onto your thumbs and start tinkering. The design must have an area to place your trusty thumb, fit neatly into a square and of course, keep it family friendly. Anything else goes!

2ik8ac8.png

It doesn’t matter if you have the drawing skill of a two thumbed human or a 4 thumbed chimp we’d love to see what you come up with.

To enter, head to Touch Arcade and drop a reply! Competition ends 14th May

Good luck, Thumbkind is relying on you

5 hours ago, staff0rd said:

This is impressive.  Has a great flow, really feels like you're in the action.  A little hard for me to focus on lining the ship up straight, hurts my eyes a bit.  Very fitting music.  Well done.

Thanks very much! I thought focusing might be an issue for some so I've added a couple of options to turn the stars off or even alter their scroll speed. The option isn't in the beta build yet but I do have an incomplete release build that has all the settings and most of the unlocks in place.

Unfinished release build: http://www.newgrounds.com/projects/games/937565/preview

Thanks again for the feedback. I should hopefully have some new .gif's from the new weapons soon!

Thumb Space Options menu.png

2 hours ago, Tobiasz said:

It's cool. But i'd like the laser-shots to be bigger. Especially when i would play this on my phone.. good luck! :)

Thanks very much, totally agree with the weapon being a bit weedy!

Here are some of the new weapons I've been working on (hopefully a little less weedy):

Missile:

2ikrs6p.gif

Laser:

szdd1l.gif

Plasma Beam:

2zswr4j.gif

Nuke:

vxci34.gif

Rainbow Ray:

2zh49dj.gif

On 4 February 2016 at 1:12 PM, staff0rd said:

+1 for rainbow.  First I've seen since Rainbow Islands.

Haha epic, love it!

7 hours ago, Tobiasz said:

Thats looks great now. Double effort: double fun. :D

Tons of progress made since I last posted!

- Weapon tweaks: Tobiasz you'll like this one, I've made the bullet and laser allot more chunky. After allot of similar feedback I decided to update them. I've also added a trail and some more details to the missile.

TSXQBKY.png 
05gUZTf.png
5bU4mCn.png

- Magnets and shields: Added magnet and shield consumables. Magnets pull the scrap towards you and shields essentially give you an extra life!

n0ATnms.png
hqW9EcN.png

- Prizes!: Watch an add, pop a prize. Prizes range from scrap to shields and magnets.

xUluvtX.png
9q0deRi.png

- Loot drop: Collect 1500 scrap and unlock a loot drop! Smash the loot crate and see what you unlock. Unlocks can be ships, weapons, trails, themes, mods, shields and magnets.

6CVnsQR.png
ETbmV9l.png
gGeUMi2.png

I'm currently wrestling with getting in app purchases implemented and a couple of tweaks after feedback. After the shop is implemented I should be ready to upload to the App Store!

• 1 month later...

- Sounds and music is working!
- Achievements implemented!
- First in app purchase successfully tested!
- App icons designed and implemented (thanks to twitter and tumblr for the suggestions)!

Made some good progress this week, here's how the app icon turned out:

Initial concepts
CeKD5GRWAAAHScp.jpg

Further iterations
tumblr_o4hrizlFf01trxzz8o2_250.pngtumblr_o4hrizlFf01trxzz8o3_250.pngtumblr_o4hrizlFf01trxzz8o1_250.png

Final
CePeCuxWIAA9o5D.jpg

For the rest of today, I'll finish hooking up the remaining in app purchases. Then it's just the final polish and submission to apple!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, SebastianNette said:

Trailer looks pretty good. Nice work.

Maybe my mind is just corrupted, but the only thing that comes to mind when I see those thumbs is:

hSbE0.gif

haha I won't lie. I thought the same myself but rolled with it anyway as at the time I was the only person to think it xD

24 minutes ago, icp said:

Are you planning to release this game on Google Play? Because it looks nice and I would like to play it. What software did you use for trailer and GIFs?

Nothing planned. I've not had much luck regarding performance with construct 2 and android. For the trailer we used after effects and the GIFs were captured with gifcam.

Although android isn't planned, I would eventually like to release a universal browser version.