local database storage?

Dower

Hello everyone,

I had an idea for a tool to create game data, like sprites or tiles. I'm going to attempt it in HTML5 and shoot for mobile devices. But I anted to get your thoughts on storage of this data? Since I would be dealing with potentially lots of small images as well as table like data... I suppose the game data can easily be stored as text via json, but should I even consider storing the images a base64 data, instead of binary? Then ultimately, what about storage locally on the device, like combining all the data into something like a a game save file (for transport later)? 

I know that indexedDB is not supported on IOS/Safari (so says caniuse.com) ... The one thought I did have was maybe wrapping this idea within PhoneGap and using a wrapper for Sqlite...

Let me know your thoughts,

Thanks,

Dower 

Hey Xerver,

Thanks for the sugggestion. That looks pretty interesting. I've been wondering if there were ways to compress local data. 

I was thinking about trying to use Phonegap to communicate with a Sqlite database, but I'm having a hard time getting that to work on the Windows side... I want to see if i can target the Windows side first, since my environment is setup for Windows development...